Spreading the cost of vet bills?

Discussion in Pets started by GemmaRowlands • Aug 27, 2014.

1. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    If you have pets, how do you pay for their treatment? I know that if you have animals like cats or dogs, that are likely to need a lot of treatment on a yearly basis, it is much easier to pay for insurance because this means that everything they need will be covered. But what about when you have smaller animals? What if you have chickens, or a rabbit, or a mouse? Sometimes, small animals never need to see their vets at all, meaning that an insurance plan could be costly, but on the occasion that they do need to do, it can cost a lot. How do you deal with this? Do you insure your pets, or do you just put a little to one side each month in case anything happens?

2. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Neither, really. I wish I could afford insurance on all my animals. I had about 4 health crises last year. One cat got a blood borne pathogen that cost a couple of hundred dollars to fix and then went into liver failure which cost around four hundred dollars to fix. Then another cat absolutely had to have a dental, his teeth were covered in gunk and he had irreversible gum disease already. Before that he had to have an ear infection which was over 100, the dental was 250 and the subsequent upper respiratory infection was another hundred plus. That's not including regular vaccines and wellness visits. I had a holistic vet where I moved from that had $30 visits on Wednesdays but the holistic vets in this area are $195 per visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So unfortunately I'm going to have to back off the holistic visits. And no, I'm not rich, I just manage to find money somewhere when one of my furbabies has to have it.