Stand Alone Radios

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by cocolgooh • Jul 11, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    My step father was recently saying that he really *needs* to have a stand alone radio and that nothing else can ever replace this. He insists on having one with up to date technology so that he's able to listen to radio stations aside from local ones and national ones too.

Personally though, I find this a bit of a waste of money. You can listen to music on your smartphone, computer, tablet, television and probably other places too nowadays. Even if it's the talk you're listening to the radio for, or a weather forecast or news update, you can get those online too or stream it from the internet. I don't think there's really a lot of point in buying a stand alone radio any more and I'd actually see it as a waste of money.

How do you feel about stand alone radios? Are they worth the money?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe it's a generational thing? I'm with you on that one. For me, the standalone radio is certainly on its way out because like you say, we can access it though just any of the many devices we have around us. We listen to the radio on our computers on iTunes, and it's great. So for me, getting a standalone radio would be a waste of money because it would just sit there collecting dust. I don't ever see myself buying one, but I'd understand if my mum and dad bought it.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think it is necessary, but this guy is obviously from a previous generation, and it is what he likes and feels comfortable with. I bet he would be really happy if you found him the radio he likes. I have some weather radios that might be older technology but they are nice to have nonetheless. One comes with a crank so it would be great to have in case of a power outtage.

4. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've got one that you can charge by cranking the handle in case of emergencies, such as power outages, but the primary reason I bought that was because it's a torch too so I've got light if I need it during those times. The fact that it also had a radio in it wasn't why I bought it, but it was only £3 if I remember right, and a torch can cost the same. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that thinks standalone radios aren't necessary now though.

What I find odd about my step father wanting one so badly, is that he's got modern laptops and brand new smartphones. He just won't use those for radio. I guess he prefers a device for everything he needs to do!

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are lots of people who still listen to radio and though they could use their phones for it, they'd rather not because for some say it doesn't really feel the same as standalone AM/FM radios or even maybe DAB radios. That said I wouldn't mind having a standalone radio. They are rather cheap after all.