Staple Gift For Men

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Webene • Jan 18, 2015.

1. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    When buying a generic gift for women, it is generally agreed that flowers and a box of chocolates is considered the staple. If you are going a bit further in the gift buying, then jewelry also makes for a great staple gift for women. However, the generic gifts for men is not often that clear.
    What are some gift ideas for men that are appropriate for almost any occasion?

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Usually, as long as I know the person drinks alcohol, I will buy a bottle of their favorite spirit. The men in my life seem to like that. Otherwise, it's hard to think of something; I think you have a good point. There don't seem to be any clear staples for men. Maybe some men on here can give us an idea? I tend to find myself going for a funny gift because I have no other idea.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Depending on their console preferences, a lot of men would enjoy an Xbox Live or PlayStation Network gift card or a wireless controller.

4. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    That is very true, ACSAPA! Now that I think about it, the go-to gift for preteen and even teenage boys is a game card to GameStop or any other video game store. I don't know why I didn't even consider that as a gift for anyone older!

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think one of the most common gifts for adult men probably has to be a tie, and for something a bit more expensive or substantial, I think watches are another go-to gift especially for those men who don't or don't like to wear ties. Although these days I don't think watches are as sought after as they were back when people didn't have smartphones or cellphones yet.

6. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the age of the person, and their hobbies/preferences. When it comes to adults I think that a bottle of good wine/spirits, or cigar may work well if you know that they enjoy them. Otherwise, a token like a fountain pen may work well.

When it comes to younger males I believe that it largely boils down to two possible gifts: video games or sports gear depending on their preference.

7. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My husband really likes chocolate, I know that was listed under the things the women like but its true - he loves it if I surprise him with chocolate. But on a larger scale, he loves a good whiskey which can be pricey so this is also a good gift. And he has so many ties, but he doesn't have very many matching tie sets, so I think as a gift it is nice if you can combine it with the shirt, or cufflinks. Also, tickets to his favorite sports game might be a nice option, or to his favorite band if they are playing in concert. I'm going to use the above great ideas for future gift giving, thanks everybody!

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can't go wrong with perfume in men or even women. If the guy is sporty, then you can easily know what to give him, and that can be anything related to his favorite sport. Usually, anything electronic is welcome in a guy's wish list.

9. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    A staple gift for men depends on the personality of the person to be gifted. If he's an office man, try belts, ties or something that is useful in his office. If he's into sports, try a sports watch or bag. If he's cool and updated with the latest trends, find something you think he would really love. You may also add his collection if he's into collecting a specific thing.

10. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Personally, I would go for a "wrist watch". Regardless of the stature, likes, dislike, this can be considered as the staple give for men.

I will be happy to receive one. Swatch. Rolex... anything!!!! :)

11. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Since my husband got hooked on model kits, particularly Gundams, my gift shopping for him and our sons is now a breeze. I just look up the latest release, and voila! They can't be any happier. :)

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think ties are way too overdone. Socks as well. I think one "staple" gift for men, when you're looking for something more than a tie or socks, is a nice wallet. If the person likes to drink on occasion, a fancy set of shot glasses might work too. I just don't like staple gifts very much, although I know sometimes they come in handy. I prefer to buy something specifically for each person on my list, but alas, some are much more difficult to shop for than others.

13. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that it depends on the man and his character and interests. Many men like sports, so sports clothes are usually well received. Other men are more into intellectual endeavors, so pens, journals and even books are loved. Other men are into fashion and luxury, so watches, fine clothes and shoes really turn them on. So, staple is relative.

14. bombshell

bombshellMember

Threads:
    I personally can't stand getting flowers because they die, but this isn't about me :confused:. My man is easy to shop for because he likes tools and has all of his tools at his parents home out of state. Every time we go to Walmart he gets excited about some tool or other and I just take mental notes.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some women think an ugly looking shirt is a great gift any man will like but how wrong they are . . .

Here are some suggestions:

- A case of beer. Most men [those who drink] will like that.

- Anything which men will find useful. Tools, a smart watch, etc.

16. ChelsMels82

ChelsMels82New Member

Threads:
    I found this for my man the other day and I bought extras for my father and brother too :)

Its a titanium multi tool card that comes in a nice leather wallet! They come from Australia and are only $34 AUD which turns out to be real cheap for me here in the US

The tool card itself looks great and includes a bottle opener, a comb, screwdrivers on all sides, hex wrenches and files it fits right in a wallet and looks so useful!

Sorry I am probably not explaining it well here's the website

17. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually buy extra gifts for male and female. For female, the usual is a purse or wallet but sometimes I stock on shirts and blouses. For men, it is the leather goods particularly belt and wallet. I prefer the leather goods because they last long. That means even if they are not used for this year's Christmas then it can still be given away in other occasions because they do not decay.

18. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Usually cologne. My dad used to like receiving socks a lot for Christmas. I think men like receiving car accessories as well. I am thinking of buying jumper cables for my son, as I don';t think he has any. He is always buying older vehicles, even though he could afford not to, and they end up with mechanical problems.