stay fit for cheap

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by roy835 • Oct 29, 2014.

1. roy835

roy835Member

Threads:
    One of the best ways to stay fit for cheap is to do your Calisthenics regularly. I have a set of free weights that I got from Target. I use those and I also do squats and push-ups regularly. I used to have a Gym membership but once I got rid of it i went back to using the free weights and doing Calisthenics to keep in shape. You can get a real nice work-out like that right from your home. You can go to Walmart or Target and get the weights for cheap and then just start working out. Just do what you can each or every other day and you will start to feel the difference. I eat almost anything I want without gaining much weight because I work-out often at home with my weights and Calisthenics and almost I bicycle ride often too. Once you get those things in place, believe it or not you have a very nice home gym with you.

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Many nice tips there, thanks! I also own a basic set of weights at home, no need for pricey gym memberships! Another tip you could look into is getting a portable pull-up bar which you could attach and detach easily from your door frame. I find pull-ups to be a great workout overall for your upper body, training your arms and back well. Also a gym ball could help with training your core muscles.

3. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I just can't do exercise at home as much as I wanted to. There's a lot of distractions and not to mention house chores that I'm continuously thinking of when at home. The only effective exercise for me is running. I go out 3 to 4 times a week and jog, usually at night (around 7 or 8pm).

I also tried going to the gym but it's costly and I also can't focus on all the routines/repetitions that you need to do when in gyms. I only do gyms after giving birth for faster weight loss. We also have a few weights/dumb bells and some compact exercise machines at home but nobody actually uses them anymore. :)

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have a video tape called, 'Calanetics' that I just loved. It was much like a Pilates routine. You would be amazed at how much good those slight repetitive movements can do for your body. I think breaking up your workout routines helps you to reach all the muscles in your body. And it builds strength in your tendons and back. Also, the slower paced exercises like stretching can be very relaxing and good for the mind. Your post reminded me of how much I used to love that workout, I'm going to see if I can still find it!

5. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    Great tips! One problem I ran into when trying to work out exclusively with free weights is that it's hard to hit your back without a bar or a machine. And then a friend suggested doing pull ups on a door. Just make sure your door is steady.

After I discovered this trick, I cancelled my gym membership. :)

6. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Body weight exercises are so neglected. You have provided some good tips. This should be a reminder that there's no real excuse not to get fit. Can't afford a gym membership? Then do body weight exercises. You can even use some items in your home as free weights!

7. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    everyday we learn something new, I thank you for this thread as I didn't know what Calisthenics was before now, I used Google to search for the term, saw what it was, and I love it, indeed, during my workout, I have used some of what is apart of Calisthenics, but never the holistic thing, this is a great way to keep fit, walking or jogging alone will do but will not push you over the edge.
    Video link to Calisthenics workout

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The cheapest way to being fit is through diet, just eating the necessary food. Don't eat for pleasure, eat because of the nutrients. And when you do this, you wouldn't actually have to try different expensive foods and cost-effective dietary aids. It would be so simple, just eat what you need. Don't overly indulge yourself with the foods that are not beneficial to you. Those that are sure have cheaper but nevertheless not less effective, seek for them and claim them.

9. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    I find gym a chore because I have to skip all the way there from work. Plus, I don't like because of the traffic. Plus, gym membership fees are expensive. What I do is dance in the comforts of my room. I just set up my playlist of Destiny's Child songs or TLC hits, and I'm ready to go. Or, I could just walk briskly in place while watching some movies on the television, or watch some Japanese dramas. At least, it is not boring for me. The secret is just moving a lot.

Though some people prefer to hit the gym, it is not a necessity for me. The money I will spend for gym can just go directly to my savings account.

10. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    If you have a spare hour or so then have a look on YouTube, you will find a LOT of videos of workouts that you can do for free in the comfort of your own home.

With regards to buying weights: This is the time of year when you might want to check out places like Ebay, Craig's List and free groups because there will be a lot of people who bought weights as part of their new year's resolution to workout and by about now they will be giving up on it so they will want to get rid of them. :)

11. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    Luckily I have a free gym in my condo, but I rarely use it. I'm part of a team of wellness coaches that hold free workouts for people who want to learn the correct form and best workouts for them to reach their fitness related goals.

Staying fit should be cheap in the first place. You can literally workout anywhere, and the truth is, in order to live a healthier lifestyle, it's 80% Nutrition and 20% Exercise. What you put into your mouth usually determines if you have a good wellness result or not.

12. Epicfied

EpicfiedMember

Threads:
    I work out at home. Youtube videos and Pinterest workouts are honestly amazing. Blogilates is great. She has a website, youtube page (where I found her) and a Pinterst plus many other social medias. I love a lot of her workout challenges. I love doing body-weight work outs. This allows me to you what I, obviously, already have since it's just me.

If you're a student, find out if any gyms let you have discounts for your student id. Some actually have gym memberships because they're run by the school themselves and can count towards elective credits for how long you're there.

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's very practical of you. Gym memberships are all right if you can afford paying for them but if there are other priorities before you, then you can always opt to exercise without costs. Taking a jog, cycling or self workouts for one to two hours a day won't even cost you anything. I'm particularly fond of jogging and using the stationary bike my parents bought long ago.

14. globulon

globulonMember

Threads:
    Gym memberships are much too expensive these days, especially considering the little service they actually get you and how hard it is to stop your membership. There are so many different exercises you can do without equipment right at home. Body-weight exercises for resistance training is sufficient for most of us and, of course, running or jogging can be absolutely free!

15. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I'm always surprised whenever someone talks about being fit being expensive -- I'm pretty certain humans were fit long before concepts of money ever existed! I'm not too much one for pulling weights and all, even when I had a gym membership, I found it tedious. I like to do pilates and yoga workouts (free videos on Youtube) and to jog, dance or play sports. I know people have routines and all, but that's just what works for me, it's pretty cheap and pretty easy to do just about anywhere.