Stay In Relatives Homes To Save Money?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Jan 22, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's if they have the space to spare.

There are some people who when they travel to some other state, the first thing they'll do is inform their relative who lives in the city that they intend to visit. They get free lodging and maybe free food and get to spend most of their money on entertainment.

Here's my question, guys, when would you stay with a relative to save money?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm very precious about my time and space, and would only stay with relatives if I got on very well with them and enjoyed their company. Yes, there are some that just bore me to tears, we have nothing in common and we're tied only by blood. Plus with this being Africa, our bloodline extends much further than anywhere else in the world, to the point where sometimes you can't even work out how you're meant to be related. The when? Only if I were on holiday (or is it vacation in US English?) in that area.

But I digress; It'd depend on which ones they were and if I liked them I'd definitely make arrangements and use it as a chance to catch up as well as save some money. However, I could only ever do it if I were on holiday for a very short time, maybe up to a week and not longer.

3. Denis Hard

Threads:
    I had a relative stay with me once. He was in trouble. Had tons of debts and since he had lost his job couldn't repay the money. Having no options but to hide out somewhere in the country where no would think of finding him, he stayed with me so long that I had to speed him on his way. Told him I had to travel somewhere. Broad hint that he should be moving along. And . . . yeah, that's how I got rid of him.

Relatives can be a pain in the neck.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been living in Latin America for almost a year now, and here it's the norm that you stay with your relatives wherever you go. I have been living with my boyfriend and his parents in all this time, and it's been a wonderful experience.
    Whenever we go to another part of the country, or even just another town, it's a foregone conclusion that we stay with his family if there are any living in the area that we are visiting.

5. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    For me, it depends on my relationship with my relatives. Although, indeed you can save a lot of money by staying with them, but if I am not coymfortable with them, I'd rather look for a cheap place to stay.

Also it will depend on the space availability. If I am close to them and they have a space available for me, then I would surely stay with them. I don't want them to suffer so much inconvenience in my behalf. And probably, the most that I'll stay with my relatives is 3 days.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Relatives and friends can be a pain in the neck! I've heard some weird stories like friends initially coming to visit just for the day and ending up staying the whole week if not longer! This is something I've heard people around me complain about. I'm sorry but we'd have to have words, some serious words. - I especially doubt I'd have "repeat offenders", because I'd make it crystal clear it's not happening.

I can understand bailing relatives out, but people also need to learn to set time frames. You can't just crash out at mine indefinitely,especially if you're not paying your way! I wouldn't ask it of you, so don't put me on the spot!!!!

7. Denis Hard

Threads:
    Some just don't know when they've worn out their welcome. Some relatives believe that since you are kinsfolk they have the right to stay with you for as long as they please. They forget though that hospitality is one of the nine noble virtues. I could welcome a stranger into my home . . .

Blood thicker than water? What a joke.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only reason I'd stay in a relative's home is when I'm out of town and the place I'm visiting happens to have a bunch of relatives residing nearby. For instance, there was a time I went to a the capital for some academic-related business. Rather than staying at hotels or hostels, I opted to stay at a relative's place for a few days until my business was completed. It saved me a lot of money. I used the amount I was able to save to buy presents for my family back home.

9. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger and we'd travel (or anyone in our family) it was sort of normal to stay at a relatives house. No hotels at all. Now that I'm older, I don't really like it. I would prefer to stay at a hotel. Just because sometimes people are used to their routines and I wouldnt want to put them out or anything. When we lived with my grandparents, they would tell us even how to shower. LOLOL

BUT, when I worked as an interpreter, I notices a lot of new immigrants to the US would have two or more families living under one household. They would do this to help each other out. When one family was able to establish themselves and live on their own, they would move out. I always thought this was kind of cool but you'd have to get along with them.

10. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess I thought this was a pretty common thing. Our family always does this. We stay with them, they stay with us, etc. In fact, most of them insist on it. For one thing, you end up getting to spend more time together that way (although now that I think about it, maybe that is what some people are trying to avoid, haha). For another, you are able to do a lot more if you don't have the added expense of a hotel room. We usually always try to do at least one thing while on a visit, like go to Disney or Six Flags or at least a big zoo or something (all of which end up getting expensive).

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My family always does this and they do it almost exclusively everytime they travel to another country or city where they have relatives living there. I personally don't like it because I like having a bit more personal space and freedom whenever I'm traveling and especially when I'm on vacation, but I'm not vehemently against it either as it is definitely a great way to save money which I could otherwise just use on buying items and services while on vacation.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really am averse to the idea of burdening or inconveniencing someone else when I can afford to get my own place to say. So with that said, I would rather pay for board and lodging if I can afford it rather than inconvenience anyone.

13. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I am originally from Hawaii where it is very expensive to rent a room and car on top of the outrageous price of airfare. I am lucky my family is there and my aunt has an eight bedroom house so there is always room for me and my kids. I would much rather have my family's home cooking and company over a hotel any day in Hawaii.

14. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do prefer a hotel, but when I am in New York, my family (some) offer to put me up and as I know them better now, it's easier. Some get offended if I choose not to stay and I say it's because I don't want to get in the way.

It's always better for someone to offer than to ask, and it's hard when you do need somewhere to go. When I had my own place I would always offer to friends and family, though I drew the line at my tenants having too many friends and family staying. I let them, but within reason.

15. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I don't know that I'd be up for a bunch of extra friends. Of course, my (grown) kids would sometimes have friends in for a stay. As for family, we've been known to pack in quite a lot of them. It's too hard to decide who should stay and who should have to get a room, so we just try to work it out the best we can. As noted, we're usually all in on the effort to save money for everyone, so that we can all have some type of adventure while we're all together. It gets to be close quarters at times, but we manage.