Sticky Nail Polish

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Rosyrain • Jun 9, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I went to polish my nails today and found that half of the bottles now contain sticky goes polish after I have not used them for a while. I heard that you can add a little nail polish remover to the bottle to loosen up the polish and make it smooth again, but I am not sure if this really works. Is there a good way to thin out the polish or should I just throw it out and buy new bottles?

2. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    If there's one thing I've learned about nail polish and it being gooey over time, it is not suggested to put nail polish remover to it as it will damage the polish even more. Try adding some nail lacquer thinner to it, just a few drops would do. If you don't have nail lacquer thinner, you can try using hot water to warm up your nail polish. Run the polish bottle under hot water (hot, not boiling) and after that, roll the bottle between your hands repeatedly. This will only temporarily make your nail polish thin and easy to apply. It won't have a lasting effect so I suggest you really buy nail lacquer thinner for best results.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From personal experience, plain old nail polish remover does work, as long as the nail polish isn't too old. I never put in a lot, just a little to get movement, and then I just shake it gently to mix it up and make it smooth. I don't use this method for pricey varnish, in case it ruins it. So far, it's worked well for me :)

4. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the tips. I am going to try finding some lacquer thinner, and if that fails I will try the boiling water method. Some of the bottles are only half full, so I might use them a couple more times and then toss them. I just get upset when I have to throw out my polish because it is expensive and so wasteful to throw out half a bottle.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nail polish remover does work, especially on those pesky half-bottles but you only need the smallest drop. I've never come across lacquer thinner before but I agree that it would be a useful thing to have, I imagine it would help you to use up the last dregs of the polish too.