Still using XP?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DDavies • Apr 20, 2014.

1. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    Are you still using Windows XP or did you give in and upgrade? If you did buy 8, you can get the free 8.1 upgrade. I refused to give up XP over the start button and the overall ease: old dog, new tricks. I know, shake your head at me LOL.

My roommate has a laptop and desktop that both have Vista. I know -- what was she thinking, right? Anyway, Vista had to go and it's meeting the same end as XP in a couple years. Both computers are a mess and collect dust now. I'm reformatting them and putting XP on them for the time being. She doesn't go online with the desktop, so it will be fine for what she needs. She knows she has to be really careful when she is going to use the laptop but it isn't like XPocolypse is breathing down her neck. She can't afford an upgrade or new system, this is the best option for now.

Microsoft needs to wake up. There is a reason a very large number of people just don't want to give up XP!

2. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    It doesn't really matter if XP is still wanted by some people or not, we have to loss it sooner or later in order to progress. You wouldn't expect Microsoft to continue supporting MS-Dos now would you? Also, Vista is a better solution than XP if that's her only option. You should just format and reinstall Vista if you're going to do anything.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a wonder but I really don't mind 8. I was so used to XP and sometimes the 8/8.1 is still a little annoying but I love it. With a new computer, it's easy to adjust to a new OS. I don't see why you should have to switch though. I would think the older computers wouldn't be able to handle the new operating systems. I'm not upgrading my laptop and it's still XP. Yeah I'm not familiar with Vista but it should be fine if that's the only option.

4. Steverd

SteverdMember

Threads:
    No, I stopped using XP right after Win 7x64 came out. I never regret it, I loved XP, but love Win 7 even more.
    BUT my work place still have dozens and dozens of computers on XP. I think we don't want to put to change them.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love Windows XP and I still use it. The computer that I'm using now has XP. Within the next few months, I'm going to buy a new computer. I would prefer Windows 7 over Windows 8.1.

I don't recommend that you install Windows XP on your friend's computers. The biggest reason is that the computer's components have drivers that run on Windows Vista like the video and sound cards. You could check the manufacturers for to see if they offer XP drivers. It would be a lot of effort, plus I doubt that they would have the drivers for an old OS.

I know that Windows Vista is a PITA. My sister's computer crashes two to three times a day. I told her to add more memory, but she has chosen to suffer through the crashes.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I liked XP so much that I refused constantly to make the Win7 switch. But then a few games I wanted to play, like XCOM and Bioshock Infinite if I'm not mistaken, came out with no Win XP support so I had to find a cheap copy of Windows 7 and install it. Since then I got used to Win7 so much that I wouldn't revert back to XP. In the end, it's a matter of usability. If the Windows version you use is enough for your needs, that's the best version for you!

7. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Windows 7 blows away Windows XP. For those still using XP, maybe you should consider upgrading. Microsoft has stopped giving support to XP. I must admit that my old laptop still has XP installed but I no longer use that laptop. My mom's netbook has Windows 7 installed and it's perfect. I have Windows 8 installed in my HP Notebook and it's great as well. The layout takes getting a bit used to but overall, it's better than XP.

8. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    One of four of my computers is still running Windows XP. I don't see a need to upgrade it because firstly, my dad uses it for reading online news and secondly, my mom uses it to watch Youtube and the occasional streaming drama. Plus, the system specs can't handle an upgrade. I would either upgrade it to W7 which I prefer or W8.1 which I don't particularly like, BUT it will do the trick since only my parents use it.

XP was great for its time, but W7 was definitely the best. W8 is good for those with touch screens, but I personally dislike the UI.

9. hytparts

hytpartsNew Member

Threads:
    XP is all right, I'm still using

My desktop can't run the Win 7, which make the speed slower. XP is still useful and suitable for working. That's all, it is useful, and most people I know are still using it.

#9Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  10. Nickchick

Threads:
    What's better about Windows 7? I don't know why but I don't like it as much as Windows 8. Is it just mainly about the start menu?

11. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Haha! I agree. I don't know why people are saying that Windows 7 is better than Windows 8, and that Windows 8 sucks and stuff. Once you get past the start menu of Windows, it's just the same from there on out with additional tweaks. As I said earlier, it takes a bit getting used to. But once you have learned the basics, there's no going back to Windows 7 or XP.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to use XP, but now I'm using Windows 7, and I'm quite content with it except for the fact that you have to drag your mouse to move an item, something which I still haven't learned to do. I think like with the physical gadgets, software will eventually have to be phased out, and we can't do anything about it even if there is a significant demand for it, unfortunately.

13. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to security, no matter how dumb it may sound, Vista is better than XP. But people should realize that Microsoft updates their operating system not because they want to, but because they need to. In order for something to progress to the next level, we should move on from the old and focus on the new, yes XP is probably the best OS Microsoft ever built but it's getting old and maintaining old software isn't really convenient, so let it go! *sings*

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I still have XP but it's on a netbook that I never use anymore. I agree that it's pretty great, especially in its simplicity and especially if you're just going to do some light tasks on it, but as the other posters have already mentioned, it's just too simple for today's standards wherein many new programs are being offered each day. I'm not really that knowledgeable on software, but if they are able to capture the magic of XP once again then they might have a better chance of gaining back their lost fans and maybe even gain more new ones.

15. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't used Windows XP at home in years. I'm running Ubuntu 13.10 on my computer, the other laptop (not mine) runs ElementaryOS Luna, and the third (also not mine) runs Windows 7. I have had a lot of interaction with it though, as they still use it at some places where I have to use the computer. It sucks, but most places have upgraded to Windows 7 including my local library.

16. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I went from XP to Windows 7 and now have Windows 8. I skipped Vista after using it on a friend's computer once, no thank you!

I have a desktop in the corner of my room which is used as a spare computer and it still has XP on it. I personally liked XP as I found it easy to use and more stable than the previous versions.

17. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I'm still on windows XP until today, because I just can't be bothered to change. But since the battery life has expired and now the only way to use my laptop is by keeping it on charge I eventually will need to get a new one later and I don't mind to have newest operating system by then.

18. Nickchick

Threads:
    Right, the only thing I can think of is maybe it helps that it tends to crash sometimes but Windows 8 is still pretty new so it probably is going to take some time for the developers to work out the kinks.

19. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I would say that Xp is now obsolete. It was definitely the best OS from microsoft and so it really did change the game for them. I think that windows 8 though is really a good one and i think that it has a lot of advantages to it and it is really seamless. It is probably one of the greatest developments for microsoft.