Stocking up when there's a sale

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DancingLady • Sep 3, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I am such a stockpiler when it comes to non-perishable foods. One of the big ways I save money on food is by buying a lot of an item when it goes on sale, then not buying again till the next sale if possible. I just found my favorite popcorn on sale for buy one get one free the other day and bought 4 boxes, then went back yesterday and bought 4 more boxes. I do this with quite a lot of foods, so my pantry is pretty big for a single person, but I also look at it as an emergency stash, if anything should happen and I can't buy food for a while, I have enough to last me quite a bit before I would truly starve.

2. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I stock up on things ALL the time, and really enjoy doing so. In my local shop, it's quite cheap anyway, but they will vary the things that are on special offer, and I will base my meals around what those things happen to be. For example I recently bought a huge lot of dried pasta, that's likely to last me a full year, for less than £10. It's 50p per 5 portions, and I eat it once a week, so I'm now sorted for quite a long time. If I had anywhere to put it, I would stock up even more, but space is an issue for me at the moment. I also like to make sure the freezer is full when things are on offer as well, so we always have lots to choose from in this house!

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy in bulk for pasta, cans of soup, noodles, pesto sauce, chocolate and paper tissues. i have always stockpiled, so when I moved out I still had months worth of wet wipes, pasta and coffee.
    I make room as it saves money and time on things that I know I like and will use. My parents stock everything in the garage and have years worth of noodles, pasta, detergent, cooking oil and cans of soup. It makes sense as prices rise each week, so rather than chance it, if you have the space buy in bulk.

4. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    We only stock up on bath and cleaning products. We don't like stocking up on food as they end up exceeding their expiry dates in our shelves. So we only get what we need in one week's time. Those sales are indeed tempting but if we can't consume them in time, that would be defeating the purpose.

5. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I definitely do this when I have the opportunity. I try to stock up on drinks and sugar and flour when I can especially. If I don't have a nice little stash going it gets super costly through the month. I also like to stock pile soaps and cleaning supplies because you can always use them.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this during sales as well, especially for goods that I know I'd be able to use up one way or another, such as paper towels and tissue paper rolls. I once got to a good sale and was able to buy enough that I didn't have to buy new stocks for months. I also do this for gifts but sales for those aren't usually as good as during Christmas time.

7. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    We are like that too in my house. At first it was only one or two things but it definitely built up over the years. Now I love specifically finding those deals and being able to stock up and prepare for so cheap.

8. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really stock up on items, I'm more of a "weekly shopper" out of habit but I honestly need to get more into the routine of buying in bulk so I'm not in the store every other minute. I admire people who are able to "extreme coupon" and buy in bulk and really save. I'm still working on doing better with saving with coupons.

9. sharpayvargas1

sharpayvargas1Member

Threads:
    There's nothing wrong about stocking-up for your own use. It's for the practicality and the convenience. I always buy noodles but rarely do I really cook them. I just want to make sure that when I come at home and there's no food and that I'm too lazy to get out of the house, I can always get myself something to eat in just a few minutes. If you are buying a lot of items not for your own use but for sale, we can call it hoarding and it's illegal here in the Philippines. But of course it depends on the quantity also.

10. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I love stocking up on items that go on sale. I even get items that I do not need because I never know when I will need it one day. I mainly get cleaning supplies. I cannot have enough of that. I also my canned and boxed food that I know will not go out of date.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I will if I know it is something that will last just fine and it's something I use a lot of. This would mainly be canned goods, pastas and canned tomato products. I could get by on pasta for a week if I was trying to save up some money and cut costs for a while. One thing in particular though that I will not stock pile is rice. I learned that the hard way when I bought several bags of it only to discover they all had little bugs in them over time - even though the bags were sealed and had never been opened.

Even meats I will stock pile in my freezer if there is a good deal on them because I know I will use it up within a week or two tops, which is more than fast enough to avoid issues like freezer burn or going stale.

For non-food items I do this as well. For example, I was in Big Lots and noticed they had a special on a certain shampoo/body wash I use which is normally $4 a bottle, but they were selling them for $1.30 a bottle. I bought up all the ones they had on the shelf. That just saved me easily over $25 had I bought them at regular price throughout the year. That was a no-brainer.

I also stock pile clothing when it's on clearance at the end of a season and marked down next to nothing - so I will have it for the following season.