Stockpiling Gifts

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by ragtimeannie • Jun 19, 2014.

1. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    Just like I stockpile food and household items, I'm a gift stockpiler too. I keep an eye on the clearance rack at our local Walmart and Walgreens, and I have gotten some great Christmas and birthday gifts that way. Our stockings are going to be full of goodies come Christmas day. No more last-minute scrambling.

In my stockpile I have...
    -- Some awesome perfume that was B1G1 free. I gave one to my daughter when I bought it squirreled away the free one for her birthday. She is going to love it! Whenever I see B1G1 free, my ears perk up -- this means the product is 50 percent off!
    -- I have tons of nail polish, lip gloss, and eyeshadow, most of which was free or at most a quarter.
    -- board games! These go on clearance from time to time and will be great for the cousins come Christmas.
    -- Same thing for puzzles. These are so much fun to do as a family that I'll usually break one out to do on Christmas and Thanksgiving.
    -- After mother's day, I snagged a couple of boxes of bonbons and put them in the freezer. It's so nice after dinner to pass the box around so everyone can have one or two for dessert.
    -- Likewise, after Father's Day and 4th of July, there's going to be some great bargains on barbecue items. You can bet I'll be looking to stock up!

How about y'all? Any more gift stockpilers out there? :D

2. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Haha, I'm glad you mentioned all this. I can't say I do the same, but I should.

When I was growing up my mom used to always buy boxed chocolate on sale, wrap it in gift wrap, then toss it in the freezer. I swear, some of those chocolates stayed in there for years, but whenever the occasion came she could easily just pop it out and give it -- most often to people visiting the house unexpectedly.

That said, I like your general ideas much better. I think my brother does the same, although I've never quite verified. Every time I visit I end up with almost a goodie bag of sorts worth of seemingly the most random things.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this as well. i always have a handful of beauty product packages that usually contain soaps and lotions that I can give out in case of needing an emergency gift for women. I don't keep that much lying around in terms of gifts for men, though, because I find that I need to be a little bit more specific when it comes to men other than maybe a few shirts or other clothing items. Personally, I find it much easier to stockpile gifts for women, because even just having some perfumes lying around is already good enough option for an emergency gift for when I forget certain occasions or am feeling too lazy to shop. I also try as much as possible to take advantage of sales throughout the year and buy items I could gift at Christmas so I don't end up having to cramp everything at the end of the year and also this way, I get to take advantage of every sale and not only the Christmas one.

4. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I stockpile anything and everything that's a need and/or want. I have a walk in closet that's solely dedicated to my stockpiling. At Christmas time, I give away at most 5 random baskets of stuff to someone in need. I also take in awesome treat bags to my kids school for their parties. I've gotten everything from make up to clothes for free after coupons and sales.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Sure!

I usually do this with generic gifts. I don't often find very specific things for an individual person, but I make sure I always have extra lotion or bath gift sets on hand so that I'm prepared for random events that come up, too.

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I'll do this with some items, but not many. I tend to have a few candles, decorative bowls, tea towels etc. if I need a last minute hostess gift. When it comes to food and/or health and beauty items I am somewhat wary because I worry about them expiring and I wouldn't know it and then give it to someone.

7. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I love this thread, and I sure wish I could say I did stockpile gifts. That would mean I took advantage of sales, and or acted in an impulse based upon oh wow, this would be GREAT for so and so! And those are most often the very best received gifts because they are SO accurate on whether or not they would be liked.

Our daughter has a birthday in late January, so if I over buy at xmas, she gets it for her birthday. Which has meant some neat stuff went her way. The granddaughter was born in February, so some of her stuff gets stockpiled too. But other than those two occasions, I don't stock pile much on gifts.

My hats off to those that do. Wow. I'm impressed and inspired.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always stockpile gifts. Around Christmas time, I always have lots of relatives and lots of smaller relatives visiting. They seek to see a bit of the countryside after staying in the city the whole year. Since I have an obligation to get my small guests gifts, I'm buy the gifts all through the year and stock pile them until it's Christmas time and Uncle Santa visits the kids to reward them for being 'good.'

9. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I never stockpiled gifts before but now there are more young kids in my family including my own kid so this is a very good idea for me. I guess I need to stockpile for Christmas gifts for them this year.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I also like doing the same thing. So when the season to give gifts is close, I wouldn't have to rush myself of buying the gifts and thinking about the items I could give. When I go to mall and when I spot an item that I think would be worthy to be a gift I buy it right after. Because if I didn't I might forget to get back to it and so I have to rethink again what I will buy instead and give as a gift to someone I see that item fit to be given that.