Store Brand - Shower Gels & Body Lotion/cream

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by gata montes • Sep 2, 2015.

1. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As non grocery personal care items - such as shower gels and body lotions - if buying branded products can make a huge dent in the monthly budget - a good way of still enjoying the luxury of using those products - would be to reduce the cost by switching to using in-store brands - especially as there a now many supermarket and grocery store brands that are equal to - if not better - than some of the well known branded names - for a fraction of the cost.

In fact - so much so - that although previously I would never buy anything other than luxury brand body lotions - I now actually prefer an in-store brand - as not only is the body lotion equal in quality and in some ways slightly superior - but at the equivalent of $1.50 for a large tub - I don't have to feel at all guilty about using copious quantities of it - same with the shower gel too - which is exactly the same price for a huge container and almost identical to the brand I used to buy for a much higher price.

So what about you - do you like to make savings by buying store branded shower gels and body lotions and also - do you have a wide selection of good quality store branded shower gels and body lotions to choose from where you live ?

2. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like to buy brand name shower gels and body lotions but wait until they are on sale and stock up. I find when brand names soaps go on sale they are comparable in price to the store brand. I also like to use my reward points that I get at my drug store to buy staples like soap, razors, shampoo, lotion, sunscreen. They will have a use your points day and you can more value for the points you spend.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm quite happy to use store-brand shower gel. I don't have particularly sensitive skin so all I'm looking for is something that lathers up well and gets me clean. Tesco's own brand does the job for half the price of the competitors.

I'm not too keen on store-brand body lotion though - it's often too runny for my liking. I usually wait for the Nivea stuff to go on promotion and stock up then.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do sometimes have eczema, so I have to watch out for some products, but I'm usually fine with using store brand products, since most of them are made by the same companies that make brand name products. I really haven't seen much of a difference, other than perhaps, in comparison with the really high level products. I also lean toward items with shea butter and/or coconut butter, because those tend to be somewhat soothing, which helps if I encounter something else that irritates my skin.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely buy name brands of these products unless I have a really good coupon. I mean I would rather save the money and buy something else. I think the store brand products are a bit more watered down and might have less fragrance but for a dollar or two less, it is a substitute I am willing to make.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have dry skin and prefer to use a body soap that is more gentle to my skin. Some Store brand soaps are too drying for my skin. I may save money by getting a less expensive body soap and spend what I saved in oil to make my skin feel better.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I really do not mind using store brand lotions, soaps and stuff like that. Of course if I have the money I will naturally choose to use Victoria's Secret, Bath&Body Works or The Body Shop. But I don't mind store brand either if I need to save money!

8. AutumnFall

AutumnFallMember

Threads:
    I have no issues with using any kind of store brand shower gel, bar soap, or baby powder but I do have an issue with using store brand body lotion. I never had a good experience using them as most were too watery and would sometimes cause my skin to break out. Because of this, I don't mind spending an extra dollar or two on a name brand body lotion. My favorite name brand body lotion is St. Ives. It has a nice selection of great body lotions to choose from and it feels so good on my skin.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Though I've heard some bad experiences with store brand products since they are cheaper I would try them anyway and find out if they are good. However since most of the stores in my hometown are small, they don't sell any store brand products so we have to buy anything they have in stock.

10. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends. In my opinion, store brand gels are high in quality. They work as well as brand named products. I don't believe this to be true about lotions, though. Nivea and other high quality, thick lotions moisten skin much better than store brand lotions. There's no comparison. So, you end up using more of the cheap stuff hoping to mimic the results you get with a dab of the brand product.