Store Brands v Name Brands

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Oct 23, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For some items, I choose store brands, while for others I use name brand products. In some cases the store brand can be just as good, yet somewhat less expensive. In other cases, the name brand is much better and therefore worth paying extra for. I usually give the store brand a try first then decide. Also, some store brands are better than others.

2. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I use them equally, I think. A lot of times I'll buy the store brand for cough medicine or creams. The ingredients are often the same. For food I'll check the ingredients too. Some name brands are better but like you said, sometimes you can't tell a difference. I know sometimes the name brand and the store brand can often be made in the same factory with the same ingredients. There are some things I'll always buy the name brand for, though. Coffee comes to mind. Also cheetos lol. :)

3. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I'm 50/50 on this. I buy a lot of name brands but I also buy a lot of generic/store brands. It really depends on what the item is. There are some foods that I refuse to buy generic as they never taste as good. I usually buy medicine, bath products, and items like that in the store brand. I try to check the ingredients to determine if it is the same item.

I've tasted a lot of horrible versions of generic soda, cookies, and frozen dinners before. I've also had some good generic ones. I think it is all dependent on what I am buying and what brand it is "imitating".

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's right, Penny, I have heard that some generic products are the brand name stuff in a generic package. It's kind of funny thinking that people actually pay more literally just for the name. Not haha funny, but you know. I do find some of the store brands to actually be better than some popular brands, but more often, they are comparable. Some store brands have also raised their prices, so if there is little or no difference in price, I'll buy the popular brand name.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do 50/50 there are somethings that I will not purchase store brand like peanut butter, Jiffy or Peter Pan please. I get store brand allergy pills, they work as good as the brands and cost a lot less.

6. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I'm 75/25 on this. When I'm out Couponing, I get better deals on name brands then generic brands. I, too, have received coupons for generic products as well but on a rare to none occassion. There are several brands I won't venture from and Coca Cola is one of them. No pop compares to my Coke! If I'm not Couponing, I go store brand as much as possible. I pretty much know what generic brand items are made right where the name brand stuff is made so that helps me know what generic product to get

7. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    Often it does not matter, unless it is a food item I really enjoy or a medication. I prefer JIF peanut butter above all the others and would rather not buy any than to buy another brand. When it comes to medication, I always buy brand. Years ago, despite doctor's assurances that the brand and generic were identical, I had an allergic reaction from which I could not breathe. I hate to think what would have happened had I not sought medical attention immediately. When it comes to cleaning products, however, I buy what is on sale. I believe there are some things you can skimp on and others you cannot.

8. kbroder9

kbroder9Member

Threads:
    I think it's extremely rare that the store brand is any worse than the brand name. Almost all the time, they list the active ingredients that are the same as the brand name, and if you have them both in front of you, can compare it side by side. I think the only time it's not the case is with food. Food obviously tastes very different if any ingredients change from item to item, so even with one slight difference I might prefer the name brand (an example that comes to mind is Coca-Cola versus RC. Why is Coca Cola so much better?) Generally if you can't tell, buy the cheaper one and save some money!

9. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    It totally depends on the product. I have tried a number of store brand items and found it is pretty hit and miss when the store brand is as good as the name brand. Unfortunately quite a few store brand items are really, really low quality or taste terrible. I will generally give a store brand item a chance, but if it isn't up to the quality of the name brand I will not buy it again.

10. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I always buy name brand products because store brand does not taste as good as name brand. Store brand may be cheaper, but I do not like the taste of it. I have tried store brand products but the quality of the product did not suite me. My father loves buying store brand products and I cannot see how he likes the way it taste.