Store Membership Prices

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by MoneyMan • Feb 24, 2015.

1. MoneyMan

MoneyManMember

Threads:
    Im in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. I have to choose between a Costco (farther away from my home) or a BJ's (closer to my home). However, Costco provides lower prices on lots of items, and I have been shopping there for years. The membership does cost more than the BJ's membership.

Is the long drive worth lower prices in the long run? Gas is definitely a factor in this, but I do like to purchase my groceries for a cheap price. What are your experiences?

2. bombshell

bombshellMember

Threads:
    I love Costco and going there is like going to Disneyland for me lol. I find the deals are awesome and when I buy household items like paper towels, cleaning products and soap it lasts forever because they sell in bulk. honestly because the proportions are so big you wouldn't have to go more than once a month which won't take much gas at all.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you should find out what the prices are like at BJ's and work out whether there are any further savings to be made. It might be the case that it is still worth going to Costco, especially if BJ's doesn't stock some of the items you usually buy.

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    You said you have to chose, do you have a membership with them both? How much is the difference in miles? How much is gas per gallon? What would the cost for gas be for a round trip to both stores? Are you able to find family or friends that would share the cost of either membership?

These are just questions to consider when making your decision. Hope it helps...

5. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I'd stick with Costco. It's a great store. Great prices. And they seem to treat their employees with respect and decent wages, so that's always a positive. Definitely shows in the quality of customer service. I don't know a whole lot about BJ's, they don't have them in my area. So I don't have any opinion one way or the other on them.

6. Nikole

NikoleMember

Threads:
    I've never been to a BJs so here are the things I love about Costco that may or may not be the case at BJs as well.
    1. The discount gas. Basically my membership paid for itself the first 2 months in gas savings alone. Gas at Costco is generally 25 cents or so cheaper than the nearest competitor, saving me ~5 dollars per fill.
    2. The samples. Nothing like filling up on Hot Pockets, burritos, chocolate, then getting an energy drink shot while you're shopping.
    3. The store policies/customer service. I've seen someone return a half eaten watermelon because it wasn't sweet enough. Enough said. (It was NOT me, I swear!)

7. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Not a Costco person because I am single with no children and I hate crowds. However, I realize that many like the experience or need a place that accommodates large families or those who need to shop in bulk. I'd say go with both for one year and take inventory of each shopping experience including how mistakes were remedied.