Student Loan Consolidation

Discussion in Loans started by allison • May 3, 2012.

1. allison

allisonNew Member

Threads:
    The Federal Government is now offering a consolidation program for student loans. This program only qualifies for Stafford loans, but it applies to both subsidized and unsubsidized loans.

See if you qualify here: fafsa.ed.gov

I know that the consolidation saved me from defaulting and allowed me to receive my tax check, as opposed to the loan company taking it.

2. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for the information! I will look into it.

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I really wish that this can happen where I am. I have cleared two of my student debts already but I still have one to pay off. I am not even using the education I paid so much for, which is ridiculous...but true.

Anyway, thank you again. I will look to see if there is something similar where I am.

4. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    Thank you for the information! I will pass this along to some of my friends who I know are struggling in debt!

5. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    I consolidated my student loans by taking out an personal bank loan. The interest rate was much lower and I paid it off in a hurry. If you have any credit with your bank it might be something to look into.

6. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I will look in to getting a bank loan consolidation, but I am honestly not too confident since I couldn't qualify for the government one. It sucks so much because I want to pay it, and as quickly as possible, but that just isn't in the cards right now.

7. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    Thanks, I'll check it out!

I need to pass this along to everyone who might need it in my circle. They should really make these more well known to the general public. Its almost amazing we even stumble upon them - if by chance.

8. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of this before but I'm going to look into it because I make so little money and I spend so much time outside of school I have to start paying the loans back before I can go through another semester! Even with aid, I can't afford to go every year.

9. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I consolidated my loans with Direct Loans and it just made it easier to have one payment instead of 3. It was just too much to handle with so many different due dates. I highly recommend consolidating because you get smaller payments.