Subscribing to emails and newsletters

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Theo • Sep 6, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whenever you sign up on a new site there is always the box to tick for updates, emails and newsletters. Sometimes it is already ticked , some require you to do this and you need to decide to untick it or give you an option to receive, daily or weekly emails.

I always subscribe as some send some good offers, often I get introductory offers, birthday discounts and holiday offers and previews. I unsubscribe to those who have too many pictures as it slows down my browser and those that do not offer anything only for subscribers.
    Some of my best offers were free tickets on mega bus, discounts on my first purchase and free birthday astrological reports which makes it worth signing up for.

2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well it depends on the site really. If it's a site that I really frequent on then I would tick it because I would not want to miss out but if it's just a forum then I might not because it creates a lot of spam on my part.

3. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not really a fan of email subscription services because they tend to populate my inbox. And I also don't have the time to read them at all. :rolleyes:

However, there are websites offering freebies (ex. ebooks) that will only give you the freebie if you subscribed to their newsletters first. For these purpose, I use a different email address, an email address that I also use to register with forums and similar sites.

4. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, this is so true there are always hidden something around that does not tell you truly what all your signing up for even if you just wanted one interest in the newsletter. I recently downloaded a newsletter that I wanted to subscribe to and lord and be hold I gave my computer a virus it was unreal. So be careful to what you check yes to this.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I sometimes do. Sometimes, though, the email updates get really annoying when they send them out every day or several times a week.

I end up unsubbing from ones like that or tossing them into a junk folder and ignoring them for the most part.

6. iam911

iam911Member

Threads:
    I subscribe for these but on a separate email account from my personal one. I check this email often, but I'd rather keep my personal account free from all this spam. While there are good deals once in awhile, a lot of the times the deals are not relevant to me and just end up going to trash anyways.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless there's something they promise [like hearing of great deals before anyone else] . . . there's one store that usually emailed subscribers whenever they were offering deep discounts on some products. For other sites that just want your email so they can hit you with salesy mail, those I'll not subscribe to. And as for those that try to make you subscribe to their newsletter or like the FB page first before accessing their content — I close the page immediately and never return.

So for me - I subscribe only if that newsletter will benefit me.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I do this too, I keep a separate account for newsletters and emails. Sometimes I do find some good vouchers or codes especially on my birthday with free drinks in a restaurant or a birthday discount code which you don't know about unless you sign up and check. That's the thing, you can miss out if you don't check.

I then delete in bulk those that don't offer much and the ones that sell on your information.

9. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    I'm currently subscribed to dozens of newsletters. Needless to say, my Gmail inbox is always full whenever I open it in the morning. I only subscribe to the newsletters of websites or blogs that have content I'm interested in. I don't subscribe to sites just to receive a free gift like an ebook or program. When I want to get the free ebook, I use a dummy email account. This way, I won't be bombarded with their follow-up emails which usually contain nothing but promotions.

10. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I always subscribe as some send some good offers, often I get introductory offers, birthday discounts and holiday offers and previews. I unsubscribe to those who have too many pictures as it slows down my browser and those that do not offer anything only for subscribers.
    Some of my best offers were free tickets on mega bus, discounts on my first purchase and free birthday astrological reports which makes it worth signing up for.[/QUOTE]

I, personally, haven't had the same sort of "luck" that you've had when it comes to getting the best deals with sites that I've subscribed to, but for some, I've really gained an appreciation for what they've had to offer.
    Most of the sites that I've subscribed to have sent me either encouraging quotes and tips on how to do better in life, or have advertised helpful workshops that are taking place in areas near me.
    But, on the other hand, I've found some of these subscriptions to be quite annoying, as they merely send me info on products I'll never use or be interested in buying, and they tend to send me more than one alert on the same product. I mean, it's one email address, I don't need to know ten times about the same thing!

I'd prefer subscriptions that offer me discount deals and rebates if I use certain coupons etc., so I'd really say that some subscriptions are quite helpful, but for others, I just hit the "unsubscribe" button as quickly as possible!

11. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have minimized my subscribing for a while now. All the ones I have feel obligatory (i.e. Playstation) so there is only a few. I get enough emails as it is especially since I always try to clear out the spam box. I think we need to be careful with subscribing because you never know when your information is going to be resold so you're just inviting third parties to send you more emails.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I subscribe to some newsletters and I regret it afterwards and have to unsubscribe. Sometimes I think they're nice and interesting, but it turns out that I never read them. Others are even worse, they are the ones from stores that I love that are always sending me the newsletters with discounts and sales. Those are dangerous! I have unsubscribed from several websites after I started spending way too much money online.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I subscribe to them at first if it's a newsletter from an online store, but eventually I get tired of receiving them, especially if I don't get interested in the items that they promote to me. But when it comes to newsletters of certain subjects of interest, then I keep my subscription with them until I feel uninterested in what they send.

14. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I don't actually subscribe to newsletters since most of them just clutter in your inbox. But when they're really offering something good or if they don't send you newsletters every week that would be great.

15. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I also don't subscribe to newsletters because they tend to pile up in my inbox and i don't really read them at all so what's the point really. I mean, they can be useful but I'm sure we can all find the information of whatever newsletter that is to the main website. :p

16. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually don't signup for emails and newsletters as I don't always have the time to spare for reading them and they end up filling my inbox to the brim, unread. So rather than risk turning my email into a huge forest of unread newsletters, it's better not to tick the subscription box. I do signup for travel groupons as they're the only ones I'm very interested in.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ever since I started working online, I'm receiving an insane amount of newsletters and updates. Like xTinx says, I too rarely have the time to look at these let alone really read them. All they do is clog up my inbox, plus generate even more spam. I'm yet to glean anything of importance from them, so I've decided I'll be unsubscribing from the lot of them :)