Subscriptions Boxes

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Peachdejour • May 6, 2015.

1. Peachdejour

PeachdejourMember

Threads:
    There are a lot of subscription boxes out there. What boxes have you found to be the best value? Are there any boxes that you would be lost without each month? What are the best for food, kids, beauty, pets?

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I use Amazon subscribe and save. The savings are substantial, but every little bit helps. I get a couple of supplements on the subscribe and save plan. I also like the convenience of not having to reorder regularly. I would highly recommend Amazon for this, but they don't have everything. If you are really brand specific, you might not be able to find everything you are looking for offered with the subscribe and save option.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do happen to like Nature Box, though i think it's overpriced by a few dollars. I'd be more than happy to spend $15 per month instead of $19.99 plus $2 shipping. I don't have any real complaints about Nature Box, though, considering how many options there are to choose from. It's a decent value for what you pay.

4. kaylahambrick

kaylahambrickMember

Threads:
    I am totally obsessed with subscription boxes! For my dog, Boomer, who is an Anatolian Shepherd, I get the Barkbox. It's perfect, even for his size. He is about 3/4 the size of a Great Dane. He usually gets 3 bags of treats and 2 toys. As soon as he sees the box he gets so excited! And personally, I love getting the subscription bag, Ipsy. It's $10 a month and it's a cute make up bag with all different kinds of make up inside. It's different every month, and so worth it!

5. Peachdejour

PeachdejourMember

Threads:
    Your dog seems about the size of my dog. She's a 75 pound boxer mix. I worry that some of these boxes will be easily trashed by my hyper girl. I've seen the Ipsy box, and I'm really thinking about it.

6. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried any of the subscription boxes, I am just not sure I want to spend that kind of money each month at this point. My friend tried Graze. She liked the products she got, but the package sizes were so small that she decided not to keep up with it...and the snacks in the box that she really loved and wanted to buy more of were not available anywhere.

7. jusjalynn

jusjalynnMember

Threads:
    I have never tried getting a subscription box, but it seems like a good way to try out new products. I would probably get a food subscription box, because it seems like such a good way to get food that probably isn't even sold in stores yet.

8. missfortune81

missfortune81Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried any pet ones, yet (I have cats). My favorite beauty box is Petit Vour: It's $15 and you get 4-5 luxury beauty items and all are vegan. I love it. For food, I love the Love With Food Box. For every box, they donate a meal to someone in need, which is awesome and the snack are usually really great! I've tried the Graze snack box, but the portions were way too small and the packaging was weird.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have only ever tried Birchbox. I can't say I loved it, but I had fun with it. Is it worth the price? Probably not, but at least you can try out some cool stuff. I have stopped the subscription after I moved to a new place, but from what I see in videos lately it's been better than it was when I subscribed, with nicer products. I think some boxes are not worth the price, but for these cheaper ones from 10-15 bucks a month, they are nice to have.

10. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    Do Stitchfix, Ipsy, and Club W count? They are not 'boxes' per say, but kind of run on the same idea. Stitchfix is 5 clothing/jewelry/apparel items. You pay $20 to get the fix, and then that goes towards anything you would like to keep. Ipsy is $10 a month and is beauty products in a cute little bag. Club W is wine!

11. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that you have to be careful with these, because there always tend to be things in them that you don't normally use, or wouldn't buy if it didn't come as part of this set. So you definitely have to make sure that the box that you're paying for is worth it for you before you decide to subscribe to it. I have used the Amazon service before and have found it good, however they don't have everything that you need so it is a little bit lacking. On the whole, though, it is something that I would be more than happy to recommend.

12. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only person who has never heard of this, before. It sounds great, though. How will I go about finding one that I want? Is it just random items sent automatically, every month? Or am I missing something?

13. wannatakeawalk

wannatakeawalkNew Member

Threads:
    I have tried Julep (make up & nails), Ipsy (makeup & beauty), Cult (nails), and Square (nails). Julep would be my favourite. It's 20$/month you can choose to get full size make up items only, or a couple nail polishes and one makeup item. You can customize each month out of selected items. I love their polishes they are a nice thick formula and beautiful colours.

Ipsy comes in a cute little make up bag that you can use for whatever and comes with some sample items. Since they are samples they are often really tiny but you get to try different stuff you may have never heard of before and it usually has coupons inside.

Cult has nice nail polishes but they weren't really my style, lots of dark and sparklies.

Square I didn't like much. Their formula is really thin you really have to do several coats before you can get the true colour. The colours aren't as vibrant as I would like. Someone once told me though that it is perfect if you do stuff like striping with striping tape.

All are someone between 20-30$/month depending on which box you get and the shipping.

14. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I like subscription boxes, but I haven't tried any lately due to lack of time to do anything other than work.

However let's hope I can get everything caught up here to see how this works for me.

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't know there were so many of these on the market these days. I was thinking about getting the Graze one many months ago, but opted not to for the very reason someone else noted on this thread - the packages of snacks looked tiny. I could walk into Dollar Tree and get comparable snacks for like $3 and it would be way more in volume than what they would be sending me for nearly $12 a month. I like getting package in the mail, but that one seemed a bit petty and unnecessary.

I did recently re-join DollarShaveClub though. So far I've tried their mid-range razor and their top of the line razor. I was happy with both, but it's clear their bottom of the line razor is just a loss leader for them to upsell you to to the nicer ones and their other shaving/grooming stuff. The razors themselves are still a good deal though - they're cheaper than a pack of Gillette or Schtick blade replacements, and they're shipped to your door at no extra cost to you. I would rather pay $9 for their top of the line blades shipped to me at no cost, than $15+ a month for Gillette blades that I have to go to the store and stand in line for to purchase them myself. The build quality on their mid and top line razors and handles are both good. My only gripes were the mid range one strangely had a shorter handle that was awkward to hold at times. And their blade cartridges on both of them have a bulky plastic frame around the perimeter of them which makes it hard to shave in tight spots, like under your nose.

16. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I am definitely going to have to look around! We'll see if I can't find something my and I will both enjoy. e don't do very many things together. I enjoy nails and make up, but that wouldn't interest him very much. He likes to eat a lot. His metabolism is really fast so he gains no weight. I , on the other hand wouldn't be comfortable with that because my metabolism is so slow that I gain weight from looking at food.

17. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    There's a lot of them that I want to try but I often talk myself out of it (mostly money related issues haha). My husband uses Dollar Shave Club and he REALLY likes it, and has said that it's totally worth the money. My friend has tried Naturebox and has said really good things about it too.

I'm thinking about eventually trying one of the subscription boxes but I haven't decided on which one yet :p The one I know will get for sure though is Barkbox for my husband and I's future dog :)

18. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly haven't really tried many subscription boxes beyond the free trials of a few. They are nice to have and I do see the appeal but I find that what I get usually isn't worth what they're charging, at least to me. Still, if I had more money and they were just a bit more reasonably priced I would invest in a few every month.

19. Katie Miller

Katie MillerNew Member

Threads:
    I am subscribed to the Ipsy bags, which are beauty products once a month. I am also signed up for scentbird, actually 2 subscriptions because I love it so much. They send you purse size sprays of whatever perfume you decide on. I get Fortune Cookie Soap Box which is all natural bath/beauty products, much like Lush. I get the Graze box which is portion sized snacks that are good for you. Mostly nuts and fruit. My family loves it! I subscribe to the Nerd Blocks, Horror Blocks, and Nerd Jr Block for girls. It's nerdy things, comics, tshirts, action figures... I am a huge nerd :D
    Wow, I never realized how many things I subscribe to since they come at different times each month.

20. RaineyDay477

RaineyDay477New Member

Threads:
    We subscribe to the Dollar Shave Club too and like it. I broke my leg last year and I wasn't able to drive for 3 months, so Amazon was a God send. I used Subscribe and Save. As I started driving again, I had to cancel it though. I would sometimes forget to cancel a shipment and then wind up with extra items I didn't need. Definitely not saving money there!