Subway - A bargain and relatively healthy

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by justusforus • Oct 4, 2013.

1. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I am not much into fast food. I find Subway sandwiches to be tasty, consistent and with all the 5 dollar footlong specials each month I find it economical to feed a crowd. All the fresh toppings and their fresh baked bread...I find it one of the best fast foods and a break from burgers. What do you think?

2. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    Subway is cheaper for you than it is in the UK, but I agree, they're great.

I could eat them on a daily basis if I could afford it.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know nobody wants to know this stuff, but Subway isn't healthy, nor fresh. I know everyone thinks it's healthyER than, say, McDonalds, but not always and marginally so when it is. Unhealthy is unhealthy, they're both poor excuses for food. Those who care about that will look into it, others will ignore me lol, that's fine. Just like to jump in when people have the wrong information about food. Eating there is fine.. but not with the impression that it's healthy. If you want healthy, not one fast food item will get you there, no matter what you think about food.

Sorry.. carry on lol.

4. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:
    I like Subway okay. My fiance really loves it, but I think it's just somewhere to eat. I'm fairly neutral about them.

Now, I love Quiznos. If I had one close to me, I'd surely be huge. I love their selection, and I just think it generally tastes better.

I'll give it to Subway though, they usually have pretty good customer service. They also make the foods based on personal request without any complaint.

5. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    Subway landed a few years ago in my city and gradually established his proposal on food. I usually have my pruritus about fast food, but I must admit that some alternatives offered by Subway are interesting. The sandwiches with the chicken as a main ingredient or a combination of vegetables taste good and are sufficient to satisfy our appetite. I don't know what is the origin of their products, but possibly they use vegetables supplied by local producers. Sure, Subway offer is far from being the healthiest, but maybe it's an option to consider to change the eating habits of our routine.

6. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Subway is my go-to for "fast food" but I have to agree with JosieP, it isn't terribly healthy, and you can see how fresh the ingredients are by looking at them.

That said, I still think it is a better option than a greasy burger joint. The bread itself is probably pretty high in calories, but not worse than the buns at Wendy's which give me an instant sugar high and subsequent headache.

I do get annoyed that Subway is the official sponsor of The Biggest Loser though, because in general, eating there on a weekly basis would not help anyone lose weight. (Sorry Jared, but you could have done better by staying home and eating salad with oil and vinegar every day.)

It is kind of like Walmart being the official sponsor of Master Chef. I really hate that the biggest corporate wallet gets the most air-time, whether the advertising is true or not.

7. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I do not like Subway. I will eat it if it's the only food available. The sandwiches can be healthy. It just depends what you put on your sandwich. For example, you can get an all veggie sandwich on flatbread. You can put tomatoes, spinach, onions, banana peppers, lettuce, and black olives on flatbread with oil and vinegar. That is healthier than a sandwich with mayo.

8. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I do agree with the poster who mentioned it still being fast food and not an exceptionally healthy choice, but as fast food goes it is one that I prefer. My husband likes it a lot, and our son loves all the weird combinations he can think up.

9. emmy2points

emmy2pointsActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to a Subway in a long time, but I've had other subs at places like Quiznos and Schlotzsky's. I agree that Subway's sandwiches are like what you described at very affordable prices, which gives me the idea to maybe visit a nearby location and have me a $5 Footlong.

10. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    Haha, I can happily say that I know Subway is actually not that healthy at all. I have seen a few various studies on the company and they are pretty conclusive.

11. indigo

indigoMember

Threads:
    I give Subway a C. They have good bread and that's it. The ingredients sit out all day and get stale, full of flies and stay at room temperature. It's an easy way to get food poisoned and I in fact have been food poisoned at Subway. Their cookies are alright, I'll give them that. I haven't been to subway in about 6 months. It is average.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    it's not just about what the food looks like or how long it sits there. It's what's on the "fresh" foods/produce and the ingredients in the "meats" and "breads" etc. They actually aren't any better than a greasy burger joint.. unless grease is the only thing that makes the burger joint worse.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think Subway sandwiches are great! Their Chipottle and Honey Mustard sauces are pretty good.
    What I like the most about Subway is that it's so affordable! When I was on a very tight budget I would go to Subway several times a week, order just the cheapest sandwich (usually Bacon), and I would save some.
    That was when I lived in California. The only thing I didn't like was that the ladies in the counter were not very polite or friendly.

14. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I like subway sandwiches and for me it's affordable. I prefer subway compare to other fast food. Many will say it is not healthy too, but I think it is way better compare to burgers and hotdog. With all the vegetables in eat. I find it pretty healthy.

15. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a fast food person and love to cook. I was surprised how many did not like the sandwich or see it healthier than a greasy burger. I think there are healthy choices there and yes kitkat0124 I would rather see people loading up on all the veggies than adding another patty, more cheese and more sauce, secret or otherwise!

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is healthier if you consider what most people consider healthy. I don't consider what's IN the buns and meat or ON the veggies to be healthy at all. Most people only care about weight when it comes to health though.. so yes, for that I guess subway is a little better. For health, absolutely not.

17. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    When I was on my campus every day, I would go directly to Subway. I'm a vegetarian and so many other fast food chains don't mix well with me, but at Subway you can see what they're doing and request what you don't want them to do. I load up on tons of veggies and I downloaded their food guide as well. It's pretty healthy in my eyes. Their prices are excellent as well, and it's usually a dollar or 2 cheaper for the veggie subs.

18. marmunmrhundun

marmunmrhundunBanned

Threads:
    I think Subway is a bargain in my opinion. I mean for the most part subway usually gets me full on more than a number of occasions. Sub way also has very tasty food, that I have never heard anything bad about. Not only is their food good, but as you stated it is very healthy as well. I can also say that Sub Way is a very quick working restaurant. My cousin went in there today to get a sub and was out in about 5 mins.

19. amandak

amandakNew Member

Threads:
    As someone who worked at Subway for over a year, the reality is not nearly as fresh or healthy as they would like you to think. Yes, the bread is baked fresh every day, but it comes from a freezer where it sat there for days or weeks. The meats and cheeses are questionable. I will say that most of their veggies are pretty good, such as the peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions, which are cut fresh daily. The rest of the veggies come from bags. Also, the amount of meat you actually get on the sandwich is such a ripoff. I've been to some locations that give you more meat, which is nice, but if they stick to the formulas, as they should, there really is not much there. Overall, Subway isn't AS great as everyone thinks it is, but it is league's better than any other fast food place.

I agree with this so much! People go to Subway expecting such a healthy meal. The meat is not very good, and the bread is not great, and then they load it with sauces and bad meats. It is definitely better than other fast food options, but you're totally right, people have the complete wrong impression.

#19Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
  20. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    As far as fast food goes, Subway is one of the places I prefer. I am only comparing fast food to other fast food here so when it comes to "healthy" I know I am scraping the bottom of the barrel. Preserved meats are heavily laden with things that make them poor selections, but so are burgers and deep fried just about anything.

What makes me gravitate towards Subway is the selection of vegetables. I am going to get a serving of veggies in my sandwich which I will not get at other fast food places. I can see what the veggies look like before I order them as well - this puts the control in my hands in terms of whether I really want the tomatoes for example. If they look sad, I can forgo them.

The real health killers are the condiments. Dousing the sandwich in a mayo based sauce is probably negating any benefit from the veggies. Sticking to mustard or other naturally low fat sauces is the way to go. Pepper - yes. Salt - no!

Finally - you don't need the "meal". Wash it down with water as needed, but soda and chips or a cookie are the path to doom.