Suggested Emulators

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Jun 11, 2013.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I recently got an old slightly used laptop (Macbook White) and since I don't really have much use for it, I thought I'd put in some emulators on it to play occasionally.

Would you guys suggest some good emulators I could run on this and some favorite games you would recommend as well?

There's just too many to choose from and I'd rather start out from a personally recommended one. Thanks guys!

P.S. - I also plan on buying a cheap USB controller to use, if that matters.

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if it would work on your Macbook but I have ePSXe installed in my laptop. It's a PS 1 emulator and it works perfectly well. You can of course use a USB controller and map the buttons to your liking. There are a lot of excellent games for the PS 1 like Tekken 3, Final Fantasy 8, Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid.

3. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    ZSNES is great for SNES. Snes9x is another good alternative. Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG are both good games. Pretty much anything with the word Mario in is decent or better.

ePSX is good for PS1 as mentioned. I like Final Fantasy VII and VIII. Grandia and Azure Dreams are great, but low graphics. Metal Gear Solid is a lot of fun. Digimon World is a fun game if you liked that series and like virtual pet/adventure games. Crash Bandicoot is a good series, partially Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped.

4. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Snes9x for SNES, ePSX for PS1, Fusion for Genesis, VisualBoyAdvance for GBA and GB, Dolphin for Wii and Gamecube. But i don't think that most of them have a Mac version, so you better off emulating the emulators.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The Fusion emulator for Genesis works great, it actually emulates all of Sega's systems up to the 32x/CD systems. The one thing you need to keep in mind though is there are a few extra steps and files you need to download to be able to play the Sega CD games. I don't know why they aren't just included in the installer, but the instructions are on their site. Also, you need to manually set up your controllers to work with the games.

I haven't yet found a Saturn or Dreamcast emulator that I could get to work on my system though.

6. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I think the only reliable Dreamcast emulator is NullDC (Chankast is not that bad either, it just doesn't get updated that often). For Saturn emulators, i don't think that there are reliable ones. You should just get one and run burned disks, it's not that hard to do.

7. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always wanted to emulate a Dreamcast but I never seem to get things right. I also tried out NullDC but I did not get it to work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've already set it up but when I start emulating, I only get to the menu with no text in it. Could it be because my hardware is underpowered?