Summer Activities For Kids

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by gracer • Mar 17, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, my mom used to enroll me in art summer classes so I could learn something new during school vacation. I also remember being enrolled in a martial arts class before but I didn't continue because I felt like I really couldn't do it. Those were good summer vacations though. I met new friends and I've somehow discovered my talents so they were all worthwhile.

Have you ever been enrolled in some summer classes before? If you have kids, would you also encourage them to take up summer classes that could help them enhance their hidden talents or skills?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    For me, way back when, I was enrolled with my siblings to take swimming classes which I hated. We had to wake up very early and we had to dive very high diving boards which was so scary. I did enjoy meeting new kids that weren't in my school though but that's about it. When I got old enough to request the types of lessons I'd like to get I eventually chose to learn musical instruments which I still get to use until this day so I'd say that was money and time very well spent. The kids in our family are now a bit too young but once they grow older we plan on enrolling them into some activities that might interest them.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here in our village, the kids can be busy with the community activities. There is the basketball league participated in by the boys. For the girls there are the civic works like beautification projects initiated by the village officers. In fact, there is a general meeting on Saturday to tackle the summer programs because the summer vacation starts before the month ends.

4. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    Classes would definitely be a good idea. My daughter was in soccer last spring and we thought about enrolling her for the summer season this year. But she really enjoyed it and that way kids get to learn teamwork and run out their energy. But we live in CO so there's a whole lot to see and do, even if you don't have money. We like to go to the mountains and hike, find lakes to fish at, go to amusement parks, etc. There are a ton of wide open space in parks for kids to run around in and there's just a variety of things you can do here for kids.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When my children were young, I would put them in sports because it was expected. EVERYone puts their kids in sports. Mine never enjoyed it and I stopped forcing them. I won't make their decisions for them, they can spend their time as they wish, so we spend a lot of summer time hiking, climbing, swimming, biking, badminton, camping, museums.. this year we'll be including archery as well. We don't need to spend a ton to have fun in the summer, we just do whatever our hearts desire. They're human beings, they already know how to work well with others and make friends.. forced activities aren't the way we go about it, but that's just us.. if kids are open to it, they'll get a lot out of it. If mine ask for camps, I'll definitely sign them up, but they enjoy things as we do them now.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When my girls were younger they were in sport activities during the summer which get them busy for a few years. We went to games, met new friends and had lots of fun. I miss those days, my grand children have not been interested in any type of sports even on the computer games.

7. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    There are free activities at your local parks and rec center. I joined the swim team for free and when I wanted to compete I just had to pay $1 for my swim team cap. I also bought a shirt with my team member's names for $5. It was very low cost and a lot of fun.

8. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    My budget's been very tight so I couldn't afford to send my son to any special summer classes. He used to be in a taekwondo team but I had to get him out of it because I couldn't afford it anymore. My son contents himself with playing a little basketball with my cousin, biking, watching DIY crafting videos for kids on YouTube, rereading his books, streaming movies and playing kid friendly games. I'm jus glad that he's not sad that he has to give up on taekwondo.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So many parents cannot afford to do fun activities with their children this summer. I have been talking to many about this recently. It is strange how often the topic is coming up. But I always advise parents to go over to a vast field or some sort of free greenery, with a cheap badminton net and bats. You can play with your kids until your heart is content.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Organized activities get sooooo expensive. With a little thought, there is tons you can do with kids for free or super cheap and I would also advise those that have issues coming up with ideas to organize group activities themselves. Lots of parents are in the same boat.. that's a lot of children that could get together for some fun :)

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    YAY, you are back. Much love, JosieP :) And I could not agree more. With inflation each year too, the prices get more and more outrageous. I have found that many parents feel quite guilty that they cannot provide their children with fun over the summer holidays - taking them out to children's play warehouses and whatnot, taking them to places like Waterworld etc...

It is even worse if you have multiple children, because then you have to pay for them all. If you can get creative with it, you will save lots of money.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never been enrolled in recreational summer classes yet, but when I was younger I always went to summer classes when I was in high school because I failed a subject in high school.

13. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that summer schools are a great thing for children to do, because it means that they are able to meet a lot of new people that they wouldn't otherwise have been able to come into contact with. Many local councils may run this type of thing for free, so it is certainly worth taking the time to see exactly what is available to you.

14. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I live in suburban America. Over-scheduling our children all summer is what people around here do.

My kids are all under the age of 10, and I have four, so I'm not over extending myself and stressing out about the summer. That said, the open schedule does allow for us to do a few new things that they enjoy.

My bigger kids go to a few morning summer camps, they do one sleep-away camp, and I try to get out and about in our town and surrounding area to do fun things that all my kids enjoy.

We go to the pool, museums, cool parks. As long as the activities don't stress me out, they can be very cool and enriching.

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I moved across the country! lol.. gawd I'm exhausted.. has anyone seen the size of my country? lmao. Took three days just to cross my home province, let alone the rest :p Happy to see my Dreekster again xo

I hear you.. I used to feel so guilty that I didn't send my kids to camps. I don't know about anywhere else, but they're hundreds of dollars here. Even for the most basic camps that don't really involve much of anything but socializing lol. More parents definitely need to take matters into their own hands.. even if they can't lead, they can post somewhere for help on getting started. There are always leaders in the bunch that can take it from there. I will never give people that much money for something I can do myself. If you want youth to stay out of trouble, they might want to rethink how hard they're making it for the kids to stay involved.

16. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some open space and a cheap ball or Frisbee from the dollar store will work too (if you don't already have one or both). Even a bottle of bubbles. I've found that it really doesn't take much to keep kids amused and happy as long as you are doing things with them.

Most parks are free, and we spent a lot of time taking our kids to the park. We usually took along a ball, and when they were bored with swings and slides, we'd play dodge ball, kick baseball, or hit the basketball court. Sometimes, we'd just play tag and run around laughing.

You don't have to spend much if any money to have fun with your kids. I generally preferred enjoying the great outdoors for little to no cost, thus saving money to buy tangible things for them.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    Oh wow!!! Well I am glad that you are settled now. The worst is over right? I remember moving house when I was a teenager, and it was one of the biggest hassles ever. I only moved to another part of our county, so we did not have far to go. I can only imagine how exhausted you are :) Glad you are safe and sound though :)

Many advertisers like to play on that guilt that they know parents often feel, in order to get parents to spend money. Are you referring to camps where you actually leave your child there over night, or are you referring to places where kids can go for fun for the day?

@Zyni@Zyni, that is the beauty of those open green spaces. You can do anything there, and they are usually vast enough to where there are multiple games going on at once. Sometimes there are people playing football/soccer, frisbee - all sorts for no money at all.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Took us a week to get here.. still in our country, but in other parts of the world that would get you across many countries lol. Not settled yet.. the "fun" part is just beginning, but so SO happy to be here. The beauty here is beyond anything i've ever experienced and I'm right in my element.. surrounded by water and mountains ^_^

I'm talking about all camps.. some are overnight (or weekend), some are day camps, some are music, sport, art etc.. all of them are super expensive. It's nutty. I don't get how people don't understand the simple concept of cheaper = more sales. And in this case would help countless children and their parents.

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    That keeps cropping up in my life - people talking about either moving to the wilderness, countryside, or somewhere that is more secluded than the more urban areas. I am thinking I should take the hint from the universe and move to the country. Would you describe where you have moved to as the country?

Well yes, those places are ridiculously expensive. Gotta pay for the food your child eats, the accommodation and all of that. I m not comfortable with the idea of leaving our immediate family's kids with other adults overnight. Child molestation is much more common than many people realize, or talk about. Plus, I feel like it is a great thing to do those fun activities with your kids, and you are usually saving money at the same time when you do outdoorsy things with them.

20. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly! Just DIY! lol. I understand it comes in handy when parents are at work though. Another big reason these camps exist to begin with. So they take advantage completely. I never did the overnight thing.. I would feel I was missing out too much, we always just took them camping ourselves.

Yes, I would consider this country, but since I don't drive, I have to be close enough to urban(ish) areas so I'm not so reliant on my husband. The house itself is in the woods.. with a lake nearby and ocean not much further. A village a walk away and a small city a short drive. Mountain views everywhere and gaaaaaah, so happy lol. Society is far too frustrating to be mingled in with it too much.. live away from it, visit it when needed lol. Much more peaceful this way; loving every minute.