Super Mario vs Sonic

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by lindbergh • Oct 28, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Super Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog are two of the most beloved platform mascots in gaming history. The two games involve running and jumping and collecting stuff. They have become so popular that they helped Nintendo and Sega boost their sales. We all know however who won in the end - it's Mario and Nintendo as Sega ceased to be a console manufacturer and settled to just become a video game developer. But on a pure gaming standpoint, which do you prefer - Super Mario or Sonic?

Super Mario
    mario_wallpaper_super_mario_bros-normal5.4.

Sonic
    Sonic4newscreenb.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've always been more of a Sega fan, and I just preferred Sonic as a whole compared to Mario. Still, I wouldn't really call myself that much of a fan of either. I only ever played the first game of both franchises.

3. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I like Sonic over Super Mario Bros. I have liked Sonic ever since my parents bought us a Genesis and we played it for the first time. I still love these games and I play them a lot. I think Sonic was one of Segas best game franchises.

4. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    Well lets be fair here, Mario is still limited to Nintendo products. Sonic on the other hand is now available on Android devices, Blackberry devices, Apple devices. He's appeared on PC games as well as every console available.

Plus, hes "cool AND fast as lightning. I think all of those qualify Sonic for the win.

Oh, last thing, Sonics evil alter ego is MUCH more menacing than Wario, who is simply a slightly kooky Mario with the M turned upside down...how original...

5. MakeshiftMiloh

MakeshiftMilohMember

Threads:
    As a kid, Sonic was one of the earliest games I really got into. All of my friends were Super Mario junkies, but nah, I was definitely a sonic fan. As an adult, however, I find myself more charmed by the ol' plumber. He's got a wide assortment of titles available to his franchise, and Nintendo seems to be able to keep their mascot relevant and surprisingly fresh.

6. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a big fan of Super Mario. I haven't played any Sonic games, therefore, I cannot say anything about it. I like Super Mario since I was a little kid. Super Mario all the way!

7. CoachV

CoachVNew Member

Threads:
    This is one of the toughest questions on this forum! But I will give the slight edge to Sonic. The tie breaker for me is I loved the cartoon as well and would play the game for hours after watching the show on TV. But, Morio is not very far behind in awesomeness!

8. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    Mario and Sonic are really good games and there are a lot of fans of both games out there. I have played both and I like both, but I went with sonic over mario because I had more fun playing it than mario. I alao found sonic more of a challenge over mario.

9. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I have always loved Sonic because it is so fast-paced and exciting. Mario is equally awesome though but I would choose Sonic for the pace of the game.

10. illusion

illusionMember

Threads:
    I've always been a Super Mario fanboy. I have Sonic and Tails for the Wii, and my wife loves that game. But, I can't get into it that much. Even when I play the original Super Mario Bros. It's way more satisfying. I still get the new Mario games when they come out. And, now my six year old is getting into the games, too. He even went as Mario for Halloween. My 3 year old daughter went as Princess Peach. Next year my wife suggested that we all go as Super Mario Characters. :)

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also haven't played Sonic The Hedgehog yet, so I'm gonna pick Super Mario. But I'd love to try playing Sonic given the chance. It seems interesting.

12. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I am a Mario fan. I think he is easier to control over Sonic. I have never really liked the Sonic games for some reason.

13. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    Definitely Mario.
    Super Mario bros was one of the first games I ever played and I still play the new Mario games. Some of them (Super Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario bros, etc) are amazingly fun to play.