Superheroes Being Stolen?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Denis Hard • Mar 4, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Earlier in the week in an interview Michelle Rodriguez, the Latino actress spoke out against minorities stealing "White superheroes." Considering the fact though that those minorities don't demand to be cast as the said superheroes if anyone wants to talk about theft then the comments should be directed at the right people who want to embrace Political correctness. In any case, since movies are fiction, changing a role so others can play it hardly makes a difference does it.

After taking some heat, she apologized saying:
    Your thoughts on the "theft" of superheroes?

2. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Idiotic. Usually when a movie role is cast, it goes all the way up to either the creators or the current writers, and if they are okay with their character being a different race, why the hell shouldn't anyone else be?

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Nick fury was originally white in the Avengers comics, but they cast Samuel L Jackson into the role. If that doesn't prove the invalidity of the claim I don't know what will.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People complain about nearly everything these days. When it comes to superheroes, many of them have had various iterations, meaning they've had either male or female versions and other versions of different races. I don't care how superheroes are cast as long as the end product is a great film. That's all that matters in most cases.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Was there a theft in the first place? What's with this issue? It's beyond my comprehension. To me, everyone is just playing a role given to them. The public does not give an iota about who plays what as long as the finish product is of great quality and people from all walks of life can enjoy the film. What's this thing about mythology and stories? Aren't movies in general an attempt at creating myths and stories that ordinary people can relate to? How dramatic could Michelle Rodriguez get?

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Halle Berry was a kind of 'superhero' though I hated her character and acting! I think it's a bit extreme, but gradually Hollywood is embracing change in traditional characters. In the Musketeers (recent BBC series, one is half Black (Porthos), Aramis is Latino, D'Artagnan is looks 'ethnic' and Athos is white!)
    It should focus on the acting more as the audience is diverse and ethnic minorities have always had issues about roles and being typecast. It is harder, I used to go for castings and not be the right color they were looking for.

7. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    Raaaaaaaaad!