Supermarket Tricks

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Oct 6, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You've heard this before. Items displayed at eye-level on shelves will be rather expensive. What you've probably never heard of is this:

Saw it on a blog and decided to share.

Most people are right-handed and therefore right-oriented. They'll unconsciously head to the right of the supermarket's entrance. And because marketers know that, items displayed right by entrance [to the right] will be quite expensive. And yeah, shoppers fall for that trick.

It's a theory you should validate.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL where I live, to the right is produce. By far not the most expensive. Eye level to me doesn't matter much, though I agree with what you say to an extent.. I live in the produce section and make my way to the packaged aisle for the rest of my list (little to no added ingredients.. also cheap because nobody wants them lol). If people are going to shop so blindly, I guess they sort of deserve the expense.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Never heard that before, you are right! However I'm left handed and I never noticed myself picking a side to start from. In fact, I often change my route in the supermarket just because I get bored!

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Interesting info. I am left-handed but I don't gravitate much to any particular side unconsciously, I always head towards the side where I intend to buy the stuff that I'm looking for. I will take note of this when I get to shop again.

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I always look high and low so I know what the best deal is. I even step back to scan all of the prices. I never go into a store without a game plan too. I look up prices to make sure I am getting the best deal possible.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lol. This is why it is important to study marketing. They are so pressed about grabbing all of our coins that they will employ all these stupid little tricks in order to get it. I don't even buy anything when I first enter a supermarket, and I go in through the door that is closest, because I am lazy.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if that trick is being done here. But when we shop, it's always the same brand that we take regardless of where they are placed. Let's take for example soda, our favorite is Coke so we would never buy Pepsi. And if all the racks have nothing but Pepsi then we would ask the attendant for Coke. But that advertising ploy may work for some people particularly those with no specific brand in mind.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm right handed and I do go towards the right side entrance almost all the time. However, once I'm in I usually go to the left for some reason. I've never really paid much attention but I guess I will now. I've heard of this tactic though and I'm sure there is a lot more information out there. I think it would be beneficial to read about those so we know what we can avoid what is being done to us subconsciously to spend more.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I posted that in the beware of store layout sections. I have seen things like this on TV. Supermarkets and in fact all stores will take advantage of shoppers natural tendencies. It is one of the things that you can depend on with retail. They will look at all of the possible ways to make a buck. It is simply one of the things you need and can depend on.

10. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Supermarkets do actually spend quite a lot of money working out where best to place things to make people spend as much money as possible. I think the best thing to do is to go in with a list and make sure that you don't wander from the list at any time. If you start buying things that you don't need, that's when you'll start wasting money. So be strong, and don't pick things up unless you know for a fact that you definitely need them.

11. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, a few years ago I discovered this supermarket tactic, placing items that are cheaper on the lower shelves. Most people when they are shopping would tend to look at the items at eye level first. Even though I know that the cheapest items are on the lower shelves, I still tend to go for the ones at eye level since it is easier than looking lower down.

I first discovered this tactic when I was shopping for a certain brand of shampoo. I was looking at all the shampoos that were at eye level and just could not find the brand that I wanted. I then decided to look on the lower shelves, and there was the shampoo that I was looking for. Of course, it is a much cheaper brand of shampoo than the others and that is why it was placed so low on the shelves. From that day on, I realized that the cheapest items are placed on the lowest shelves. Now I also buy a certain brand of soap that is much cheaper than what I used to buy, because one day while shopping for soap, I decided to look on the lower shelves and discovered a very nice brand of soap that was way cheaper than what I used to buy. Now I always buy that brand of soap.

I wouldn't say that I tend to gravitate towards items on the right side of the store first though. In fact, even though I am right-handed, I look at the items to the left first. I always shop with a list anyway, so I would go where the items are that I need.

12. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is a great tip. I would use it. I have to remember to do this though. Honestly, I never think of using this, and I think I should. I just wish that I could remember to do that when I go to the stores. There are a few different tactics that I think will help you save money at the store, and that is a good one.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How do they even test or figure out these things, to make sure that the tactics actually have some validity to them, to where they are going to work a large percentage of the time. They never work on me, and I don't think that they work on my mother either. Most people these days don't have the money to be fooled by these tricks.

14. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    This trick won't work on me. I can see the rationale behind this kind of move. However, when I go shopping at the supermarket, I usually move around and check the prices in each category to see if the item is cost effective according to quality or value. Therefore, I usually buy on an assessment of the goods or service.