Sweet potatoes

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Oct 12, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love sweet potatoes, but I have been too lazy to cook them incredibly enough. This weekend I finally bought a few, peeled them and boiled them and guess what, delicious as always! Anyone eating sweet potatoes? How do you cook them?

2. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I have never liked sweet potatoes but then again, it's been over 10 years ago since I've even tried them. I'm thinking about making some for Thanksgiving dinner this year providing I figure out how to cook them. I'm going to look up some recipes in the next few days.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like baked sweet potatoes and adding some fillings to them. Another way is mash, though I mix it with white potatoes as it can get a bit too mushy and a bit too sweet. The white potatoes give it a bit more structure, which I prefer. Another way is to roast them with some salt and oil. They are a low GI which for diabetics is good as it release glucose slowly.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love sweet potatoes myself. We eat them on a quarterly basis but there's always a staple during Holy Week or around November. We cook them through the method you yourself are accustomed to doing: through boiling. They taste better when boiled. Sometimes we add them to a chevon dish or we make them look more appetizing by baking them.

5. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I love sweet potatoes too. I usually just nuke them in the microwave. You'd think it wouldn't taste good like that but it honestly does. I also like to bake them but do as often because it can take too long. I need to get some more recipes though for a change of pace.

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I also like eating sweet potatoes and I think I've tried all type of methods to cook it. :D Aside from boiled, fried and baked, I also tried grilling them too. I find that grilled sweet potatoes is sweeter than boiled ones. That's why I still put sugar in it when I boil or fry it. :)

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like sweet potatoes that much. Someone told me that there are numerous varieties, each with a different taste but apparently, the "types" I've eaten over the years didn't have that great taste. Boiled sweet potatoes can be good but I prefer sweet potatoes roasted [on coals]. Last time I had some was when I was camping.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't cook it myself but some of our nearby local shops sell potato chips made with sweet potatoes and they are pretty good. Granted, I still don't like it as much as regular potato chips but it serves as a good break from routine every now and again. I'm guessing the process of making these is simple such as just boiling it for a while then drying it thoroughly then throwing it into a tub of boiling oil.

9. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    Sweet potatoes are awesome! My favorite way to cook them is to bake them. It's really easy, you just poke holes in them and put them directly on the oven rack, with a pan underneath to catch any drippings. You can cook a whole bunch at one time and have enough for a whole family for the week. It's a great filling side dish with butter and chives.

Here in America sweet potatoes (until they got trendy the past few years, with places coming out with sweet potato fries etc.) were only consumed at the holidays in the form of casserole or pie. My family never made the pie but many people's family make the casserole at Thanksgiving which has tons of sugar and marshmallows on top. I hate that casserole! I think it does them no justice. And it is served as a side even though it is basically dessert, when there's already pumpkin pie for dessert. Grrr. A lot of people love it but I think it is a culinary abomination, lol. For the past several Thanksgivings I've made my own sweet potato casserole which is just lightly sweet and has NO marshmallows. It's three sweet potatoes boiled and mashed, 3/4 cup canned crushed pineapple, a few Tbsp butter and a touch of brown sugar, baked at 350F for 30 minutes. Pineapple and sweet potato sounds weird but it is really good! Try it!

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I love sweet potatoes, and I eat them the typical way like boiling and peeling them. But I make more twists, I put them in the splenda, coat them with it, because I really like them sweet. I don't feel like eating them just the way they are after they have been boiled. It's also important that they fit my taste well. They already do partially with their natural sweetness.

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That is true, they need some sauce or else they just taste like water. I've also heard that the sweet potatoes are really good to add in the soup, but I never get to try that. Anyone tried them in soup? I imagine they add a great flavor to it.

12. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I've never liked sweet potatoes and the only way I've tried them is warm with some salt and butter, all mashed up, and I just find it absolutely disgusting haha.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love sweet potatoes. My favorite way of eating them is a sweet potato pie. Not a fan of pumpkin pie, but I love sweet potato pies. I also eat them roasted, baked and mashed. Trader Joe's has a wonderful sweet potato bisque that I haven't taken the time to figured out how to duplicate it. I will though.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Once in a blue moon I will get a craving for them, but for the most part I really don't care for them. Even when I order sweet potato fries at restaurants, the whole time I am eating them I am thinking to myself that I wish they were regular potato fries. The only way I prefer to eat them is baked, with some butter, salt and cinnamon. A local steak house near me only serves sweet potatoes with cinnamon butter, no regular potatoes, so I enjoy them with a steak cooked over a wood fire occasionally. I think the smokey and sweet flavors pair nicely.

Recently I bought a couple sweet potatoes to try and make a hash with them, and was surprised at how hard they were to cut. They have a weird fibery thread texture to them, and it was causing my knife to jump around and not cut evenly through them. I was worried I was going to nick myself with it. Then when I steamed them, I didn't realize how quickly they could go from hard to mushy, much faster than a regular potato, definitely not as forgiving, so I ended up overcooking them, and had to make them into mashed sweet potatoes instead.

15. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I love sweet potatoes and yams very much. I usually do not peal them though. The skin just falls off after they have boiled. I try to eat at least some of the skin to get the fiber, but I don't like it very much so I will eat it first to get it over with, then mash up the rest of the sweet potato with a little butter and serve. They are so good and flavorful, they don't need much at all.

16. Mrs Time

Mrs TimeNew Member

Threads:
    I like them baked and eat the skins too. Lots of butter and they are heavenly.

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL, are you serious, you add sugar to the sweet potatoes? I have never done that, but I do feel that sweet potatoes are good in any way we can cook them and that they go well as a side dish for any food, I am eating them more and more these days. ;)

18. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I love sweet potatoes also.I like the best when it is roasted and burnt and only the inner most pulp will be available for eating. I think it is a great vegetables and very tasty. I always love to try out different dishes made out of sweet potato as it is very tasty.

19. Gelsemium

Threads:
    The best way that I've eaten sweet potatoes is when they are cooked in the oven with octopus, garlic and olive oil, it's something extraordinary the scents and flavors they absorb, you guys really ought to try it. :)

20. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love sweet potatoes. I eat them mashed and boiled in lentils. Another way that I like them are fried. We eat them locally with a hot pepper sauce made with peppers, onions, and tomatoes. It tastes really yummy and lovely and is a choice snack that people eat here.