Sympathy Gift?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by SEA81 • Sep 18, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    A friend of mine just died, and I want to send his parents something, but I am really tight on cash at the moment. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can get them? Would a card alone suffice or should I send flowers? I'm not sure what to do in this situation anyway, but on a tight budget it's a lot more difficult!

2. guidedessensations

guidedessensationsNew Member

Threads:
    card and flowers is best for sympathy gift

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    If cash is really tight, then why not find a suitable poem online, process it with a nice font and border, then print it off and frame it? Or if you have a really nice photo of the deceased, print that off and frame it, or go to a site like Photobox and get it processed there. When friends have passed on in the past, I've written a poem, given it a border and framed it, and that has been received with real appreciation. I've also done photos. It's more personal than flowers, and it's enduring.

If you're really strapped for money, just buy a nice card and write your memories of the deceased in there. His parents will be so distressed, they won't notice who has bought them gifts. Later on, though, they will be glad to look back on the cards, letters, photos and poems.

4. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    Flowers and a sympathy card will be cheap and always classy. It is a pretty standard gift to give someone during their mourning/stressful time. I like Sandra Piddock's idea in some cases but each person will handle that differently. If someone gave me a poem and a photo of the deceased I would probably not give a crap about keeping it safe and sound and it would get thrown out with the wilted flowers.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    A card would be your best option. If you are really strapped for cash, a homemade one is practically free and would actually have more meaning than a store bought one.
    My symapthies on the loss of your friend.

6. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    See if you cam find a nice inexpensive plant, that would last a long time.

7. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think a card or note would suffice but maybe you should leave it for a week or two as they might not be in the mood to receive gifts or cards at this time, it might seem a little inappropriate. You don't need lots of money to buy gifts, use your imagination, you could even make something yourself to save money.

8. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I think flowers is a nice gesture and they are usually pretty cheap if you buy just a couple of them. With $5 you can buy a nice arrangement, just remember to ask for the best flowers to offer your sympathy.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that you can never go wrong with cards and flowers, after all, flowers are the most common item that you see given as a condolence gift in a wake. If you accompany it with food, then I think that that would be ok.

10. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:
    I think a card is a perfectly acceptable gift. It shows you're thinking of them. If you can afford more, flowers are nice as well. As everyone stated, flowers and a card are the standard sympathy gift, but a card with a heartfelt message is perfectly fine.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

11. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    Sorry for your loss. I would send a card. I do like the idea of sending a picture of their son. Maybe find a picture of him at a special event you went to together or photo that showcases his personality. This way you help them remember their son while demonstrating your friendship. Then you could write a little note saying what was happening in the photo. Something like ... I liked it when he smiled. It lit up the room (photo shows him smiling). Yes, it might sound cheesy, but it is from the heart and doesn't cost money.

12. himalipatel

himalipatelMember

Threads:
    You can send a sympathy flowers with a sympathy message on a card. it is a best and perfect sympathy gifts.

13. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    If you go for the flowers idea then please pick the flowers with care as there are some which are frowned upon as a gift for people who have just died, I don't know what they are, but my family always tell me which ones to avoid - I know lillys are one.