Synthetic Or Conventional Oil?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by hayrake • Jan 10, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I know a lot of people have made the change to synthetic oil; but my husband and I have discussed it several times over the years and have never made the change. Personally, I've always heard that whatever you begin putting in your vehicle from the start is what you should continue putting in it til the end--even down to the brand that you choose.

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I go with conventional oil if one has an older car than 2000s, because its thickness works better with older and used engines. Synthetic oil is best for newer types of higher efficient engines, being that it is thinner and it more suitable towards high-performance vehicle engines.

3. dwon30

dwon30New Member

Threads:
    What oil to use

I am in the oil industry and deal with both automotive and industrial oils on a daily basis. Synthetic oil in most cases will always out perform conventional due to its engineering and chemistry. However, if your car has more than 30,000 or 50,000 miles and has not been using it since birth I would not recommend it as the wear pattern in your engine has already been established. In worst cases this can actually cause leaks and a few other issues. One other thing to mention like one of the other posters said, is that using the same brand is good. Whatever oil type you choose, my suggestion is to stick with that brand due to the additive package being consistent. Think of it as abruptly changing your dog's food brand (if your not a pet owner:FYI this is a bad thing). Although you may not see a noticeable difference with your car, this can have long term effects that may not have been there if you continued using the same brand all along.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:

Synthetic oil is lasts longer. It also helps your vehicle have better gas milage. On the other hand, synthetics are worse for the environment and are more expensive. Given these facts what do people on here think is the better choice?

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our 2 cars are both 4 years old now and they are being maintained in the car dealer's shop. Synthetic oil is what they are using ever since. And even if it is more expensive than the regular engine oil, I think it's best to continue with the synthetic oil. Besides, I admit that I don't know much about cars and engines.

6. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have always used conventional oil for all the 4 cars that I had. I never had a complaint from my car engine. Each car gave me a good 5 years. So I would continue to use that. I appreciate the expert in the field's comments.