Tablet Insurance

Discussion in Other Insurance Type started by Gelsemium • Feb 17, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Recently I bought a tablet and the salesmen in the store tried to sell me an insurance for it, considering I got it for my kids. I said no, but I've seen it drop so many times I think it would have been wiser for me to do it. Would you do a similar insurance?

2. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Off-the-top-of-my-head, no. But would that make it cost less when you need to get a new one (either when the kids break the new one or when you see the tablet's newest upgrade and decide to 'notice that the old model is broken' :D)?

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    First I would put the tablet in a cover to protect it. It is usually the screen that gets cracked and may cost alittle to replace. I think the thing you want to look at is the deductable and then the cost of the insurance. If you have to pay almost as much for the deductible as the repair cost I would not take the insurance.

4. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Assuming I paid for my tablet's insurance... what benefit will it give me if all the data stored in the device can no longer be retrieved? (also assuming I do not turn my icloud back up ON). Yes, I might have a new device.. and then...?

5. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    This is another example of how people ascribe too much 'reality' to the virtual space (and it's where I start sounding like "Grumpy Old Man") ... "Back in my day," your "data" was information stored ON PAPER in a Bank- or Government-FILE! Information on a computer was a REPRINT of the file-information! "And WEEEEEEEE LIKED IT!"

Not sure what you mean by "data," I can only say that it would be similar to if your copies of files got 'destroyed by flood, fire or other destruction'---you'll have to re-research the account-information, and re-write the articles/reports/stories/poetry you wrote :(

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You could put it under the house insurance as contents, that would be cheaper and would cover all the tablets, laptops and phones? We have the options in the UK and that would be an easier option perhaps. With children, you expect them to drop it, don't you and maybe the screen with get cracked at some point so you teach them to be careful or they won't have it to play with anymore.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Ha, that's the advantage of it, if I had the insurance I would get one for free if mine is broken. The issue is that let's say costs 100€, the insurance is 30€, is it really worth it?

8. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    That's what I hate about 'this mortal form's' instant-gratification mind---i.e. the things you're 'getting for free' (under insurance-plans) or 'earning as rewards' (under credit-card plans) are actually THINGS THAT YOU ARE PAYING-FOR WHETHER YOU TAKE THEM OR NOT!

And another thing I suspect about insurance-plans (though it might be different for 'replacement-insurance' you buy with the original purchase) is that they charge you for it EVERY MONTH (or maybe 'every warranty-cycle'). So if you buy a 100$ (I don't know the code for 'pounds') product and are 'responsible' for 4-or-more months/cycles, the insurance is a WASTE of money!

Is that teaching the lie 'that it is financially responsible of you to be careless'?

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My Chinese made tablet cost $50. It's not worth insuring because insurance would cost more than the tablet.
    If it breaks, I'll just buy another one.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's what I though too, mine cost little over $100, so making an insurance for almost a third and that insurance being valid for 1 year only was really risky. So far so good btw. ;)

11. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I bought my daughter a tablet for Christmas and two weeks later, it was shattered. Luckily we had insurance so I just had to pay $100 deductible instead of the $150 it would have cost to replace the screen. I never buy phones, tablets, televisions, laptops or any electronic without insurance.

12. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I could say something like 'This is a bad way to raise kids ... no respect for improving dexterity ... blah-blah-blah'; but I'm in a very theoretical 'place,' and in the real world "improved dexterity" isn't worth the time it takes to train-for :rolleyes:

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would want to pay for an insurance for a tablet, since I'm mostly careful with my items in general. If ever it gets broken, then I would just buy a new tablet or have it repaired.

14. bombshell

bombshellMember

Threads:
    I prefer high end electronics so I have to have insurance. My tablet costs $700 dollars and I have two kids who use it, so there is no way I would not insure it. I pay $8 per month for the insurance and if anything happens to it I pay a $100 deductible. Even if I have the tablet for 2 years and break it at that point, I would still be saving myself $300 more for the cost of a new one.

15. PunkinPie

PunkinPieMember

Threads:
    You can sometimes list your higher priced mobile devices (smartphones, tablets, I-Pads) on your homeowners insurance. The cost is less and some carriers offer really low deductibles. The only problem is you do technically file a claim on your homeowners insurance in the event that the item is lost, stolen, or damaged beyond repair. That can effect your insurance rates.

16. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a good point, @PunkinPie@PunkinPie, it might be worth it to have a separate policy to cover your consumer electronics, than having to file a claim on the homeowner's or renter's insurance.

When I had an expensive smart phone, I think the insurance was $5/month, so I got it. I think it also included roadside assistance, so what the heck, it was a great deal. A friend just mentioned last night that he has insurance on his GPS unit, because it was an expensive one.

I think if the policy was inexpensive, and offered replacement at least, if not better replacement (newer brand new model), I might consider it. I don't have a lot of money for electronics right now, so anything I buy will be either lower to mid-range, and possibly used, so I wouldn't bother with the insurance.

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A tablet insurance would be an extra expense for me. If you have the budget, then go for it. But I would pass off the chance to get one. I would rather buy a tempered glass screen protector and leather case instead. When armed with these, my tablet wouldn't be destroyed that easily. To avoid natural disasters, I'll just save as many backup copies as would be possible of all the files in my tablet.

18. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I am also of the opinion that this form of insurance should cover high end products. It also depends on the level of exposure to damage of items one has in their house for example where there are many kids or high levels of insecurity. I would also consider part insurance instead of the full policy so that my premiums would be low and replacement cost effective.

19. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I like the idea of insuring the household electronics under an insurance policy but the only caveat there, is that it would have to be spelled out exactly what it does and does not cover. I would hate to see the product get broken and find it is not covered under the insurance, that would be a total bummer, however, in the meantime, I would suggest a case.