Tablet or Computer for Highschool Age Son

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by dejongkimberlee • Nov 28, 2013.

1. dejongkimberlee

dejongkimberleeNew Member

Threads:
    I am looking to get my son something nice for Christmas this year. What do you think he would get more use out of, a tablet or a computer. For tablet I am thinking of getting him an iPad or the computer would be a macbook. I am not sure which he would like more and could use a little input as to what is preferred by teens these days.

2. avasmom

avasmomMember

Threads:
    I think he would get more use our of a laptop computer since it is for school, but I wouldn't get a macbook. MacBooks are well-designed, but when you compare the specifications, you will get a much faster PC based laptop for the same amount of money. Consider what programs he will want to run before deciding on a Mac vs PC.

3. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the laptop would be best because he could use it for his school work and what not to where a tablet could be a little harder to study on. Plus tablets I feel are going out of style they aren't as popular as they were so I would go with the laptop.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Definitely a laptop. I wouldn't get much use of tablets personally. As for Macbook.. I would rather prefer a Windows PC myself, and if your son likes to play videogames, then he will probably too. There are some games for Mac, but generally there aren't too many titles..

5. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    A tablet will never replace a laptop. Everything you do with a tablet, you can do it with a laptop too.
    Not to mention that with a laptop you'll have better software and the possibility to play video games.

6. tweety23

tweety23Member

Threads:
    I'd go with a laptop. That way, he'd be all set for college whenever he actually goes. A Macbook is a good choice as well.

7. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    A laptop would be best in the sense at least he would already have one for college when the time comes. A tablet is very nice but at the same time laptops are compact enough to take anywhere but are much more powerful and have better system processors than tablets.

8. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends what the needs of your son are. If its something he'll be taking to school everyday then a tablet may be a better option just because its so much lighter and takes a whole lot less time to boot up. A laptop would be a better choice in terms of work productivity but a desktop would be even better, however that's not portable. If your son will just be looking at webpages a tablet would be the better option but if he needs something to do graphs and word documents on I'd say a laptop would be the way to go.

9. Exsheel

ExsheelNew Member

Threads:
    Get him a laptop. While not as entirely mobile as a tablet, he'll be able to do more and get more functionality out of it. Tablet's are nice for every day use of just checking out websites, skyping, things like that, but if he is going to be doing actual school work on it you want a laptop.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If he has neither I would definitely go with the computer. He's going to get far more use out of that not only for leisure, but for getting homework done as well as seeking employment and other important things. Tablets are still largely just entertainment devices and not good for any serious productivity. Not to mention the shelf life on them is pretty short - within a few months they are more or less obsolete and within a year the newest version of Android probably won't install on it. A good laptop will last you like 3 years and can be upgraded along the way.

11. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, I would much rather have a laptop if I was a teen. Laptops are much better for teenage boys, because they are more versatile and they last considerable longer than a tablet.

12. apple1989

apple1989Member

Threads:
    My nephew, aged 14, already has an Ipad. With the advent of electronic education, their school adapted the trend. All second year students are mandated to purchase a tablet. There are pros and cons to this trend, but I feel like there are of the latter than the former. We do not have a strong sense of security in our country, so they become more vulnerable to criminals. They are an easy target for they are naive. There are already several reports of stolen tablets in the school but not much has changed as far as security is concerned. I do not want that to happen to my nephew or anyone for that matter,.

13. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    The students are forced to buy tablets? that is shocking... truly shocking... there is little to no educational usage for tablets, unless you are using them for a very specific tool, like out in the field conducting fieldwork, which is not something high schools really do. I imagine the school will see a dip in grades because of this. I suppose many companies pay schools to make their students use tablets (this increases the chance that the students will buy a tablet in their own future lives). Just a shocking thing that the school has done.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Laptop would be better, in my opinion. Tablets are more for leisure, and even if they can be used for productivity, it's still much easier to type on a physical keypad for notes.

15. radishes

radishesMember

Threads:
    I think a laptop would be great for your son. It's portable and good for school. If your son is a gamer, he'll probably want a new computer. Computers can run way more games than laptops and tablets. Tablets aren't as versatile but they are the most convenient to use.

16. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    It depends. Your son will be happy either with the iPad or the laptop, it won't matter. It does matter on what he likes doing. If he's really young he will benefit from both. With the iPad you have the learning applications and internet, with the laptop he has the keyboard and the freedom to do more than the iPad. A lot of schools now are going with the iPad for learning. I mean it's really both from great sides but for portability, the tablet would be much preferable since it doesn't need as much room as a laptop would.

17. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    Laptop is a good shout (especially a MAc) because it will last him a good long time and you can do a lot more on it. There is much more flexibility with a laptop in comparison to a tablet.

18. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    Tablets are only useful for games just like the ones you can play on your smart phone. Laptops are also capable of playing almost all of these games plus actual video games. If he wants to use any programs like word or basically do absolutely anything else then get a Windows Laptop.

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It seems the laptop is winning out. I agree the laptop has more uses than the tablet for school work. I have two grandsons in my home with 3 laptops and 2 tablets. When it is time to do school work the tablet is not the device the boys use. They play their games on the laptop as the tablets do not have the space needed to download the games or the speed. You would want to check what programs need to be on the laptop for the classwork that has to be done for his classes.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If your son is not into playing video games, then go ahead and purchase that Macbook for him. If he is, then just go get a Windows laptop. It is by far more better and useful than a tablet. Tablets are just good for light internet browsing and reading ebooks, and it is underpowered in my opinion.