Take dog trick-or-treating?

Discussion in Pets started by Mayvin • Oct 19, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've never done this because 1) I don't celebrate Halloween and 2) my dogs would probably be all over the place lol creating too much drama. But it is cute to see some dogs dressed up in those Halloween costumes. I'm all for it if they're comfortable, but if they're in some fussy outfit and walking around like "what did I get myself into" you feel kind of bad for them lol.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have your dog on a leash, then I don't see how or why it would be so hard to go trick or treating with your dog? I mean, for the most part you are walking from house to house, so the dog is getting walked and a workout lol. You are only stopping at each house for a minute or two - not enough time for dogs to get restless right? I don't know; bear in mind that I don't own a dog. If it was cold outside, and they were shivering or something then I would probably not take them. I'd feel sorry for them then lol.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see why you shouldn't especially if your dog loves people. In fact, here in the Philippines we have dog shows this coming Halloween. :)

4. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I don't because it'd probably end up freaking out my puppies, plus where I live, it's just far to cold to be taking them out for very long around that time of year. I've seen people do it, though!

5. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I see dogs trick or treating every year. I see dogs with costumes also.

6. thetieps

thetiepsNew Member

Threads:
    I think that it ultimately depends on your dogs' temperament. You undoubtedly know your dogs better than anybody in your neighborhood, including how they react around other people. Since you stated that you were worried about your dogs "creating too much drama," I can only assume this to mean that they are fairly sociable. If this is the case, there would probably be no issue, especially if you were to take them out in the later evening (after the especially young children have gone in). That way, you will still be able to dress up your dogs for the evening and maybe even get to show them off to the neighbors! Plus, you can never go wrong with free candy, right?

7. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    My dog would go crazy around all those people in costumes. He is a very protective dog.it depends on the dogs temperament some dogs would probably love all the attention they were getting from walking around.

8. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    I had a 100 pound vicious dalmatian. She was incredibly protective of the house and property, but when outside the home, she was more friendly. I used to dress her up like a fireman every year. The kids in the neighborhood thought it was funny to see a dalmatian (a firehouse dog) dressed as a fireman. I never had a problem with her, and she loved being with the kids. I did make sure I had a bag of biscuits with me though, just in case she got out of hand. She would do anything for biscuits.

9. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I say go for it just for the experience. I took our dog one time with my nephew and niece. Our dog stole the show. Let him wear a costume and make him stand out. You'll definitely bag more candies than you'd ever want. Haha

10. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    Ehh, not alone. Like I wouldn't take my dog trick or treating for him/her, maybe for the walk if I were to take kids trick or treating. As long as the dog wasn't upset about it or the costume wasn't aggravating him/her, then I don't see the problem in them dressing up. It would be cute and maybe they would have fun. I don't know, I've never done that before with any pets of mine lol.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree and I feel the same way whenever I see dogs in uncomfortable clothing, but it's just one night of the year so I don't really mind that much. I doubt it would be acceptable for the people giving out candies to just bring along a dog though. I think it's still more traditional to bring kids and dogs are just there as complements to the costumed humans.