Taking food into the theater

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Jessi • Aug 14, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    There's no doubt about it that theater food/snacks/drinks are expensive. If you indulge in going to the occasional movie, do you buy anything else while you're there? What's your opinion of taking in snacks or drinks with you?

2. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I've only sneaked in a few candy bars and homemade popcorn. Going with a girl with a big purse does the trick :p

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I always take my own snacks and drinks into the theatre - whether I'm going in for a movie or a live performance. If I've paid for the seats, I don't see why I should also pay a premium for snacks and drinks. In addition, my own snacks and drinks are healthier than anything on sale, and I know what I'm feedinng into my body.

4. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Have you ever been spotted sneaking in those snacks? My dad tried to take a bag of chips into the movies once and they wouldn't let him in unless he left the bag outside :p

5. tasoncool1997

tasoncool1997New Member

Threads:
    I always bring snacks like chips and drinks into the theater with a big bag. The foods/drinks in the theater is extremely expensive to buy which if you bring 10 dollar just for the food you will surely waste that money.

6. Spongecake

SpongecakeNew Member

Threads:
    I don't know that I've ever NOT taken food into a theater. I usually just bring a medium sized purse and cram as much in there as possible. My husband's pants are also a great tool for sneaking in food :) I understand that theaters make most of their money off of concessions, but the prices are ridiculous.

I figure that if I ever get caught I will just claim to be diabetic.

7. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I always bring my own food to any event I am going to. I grab my big purse and I stuff it like turkey.lol
    The prices are ridiculous for a little small box of candy.

Besides my snacks are better not to mention they taste better and I don't have to spend more than 10 dollars and only have 2 things. I can have a purse full of stuff for under 5 dollars.

8. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just skip snacking altogether when at the movies. The food is just way too expensive and unhealthy to buy. I have brought food into the theater many times before. The theater I usually go to, has a Sobeys in the same plaza so if I'm going to buy junk food I just go there first. I would usually just buy some candy or chocolate. But I'm trying to eliminate that stuff from my diet altogether.

9. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    I always take my own food with me! I don't like most of the stuff they sell, and it's pretty unhealthy. Also, popcorn has to be one of the cheapest foods in the world to make and yet they charge a fortune for it! I usually have food and drinks with me in my bag wherever I go in case I'm out for longer than planned. If they want to search my bag or refuse me entry, that's fine, they can give me my money back and I'll happily leave!

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy the movie theater sized candies at Walmart for 99 cents and my daughter and I usually split a big soda at the theater. I don't like overpaying for candy when movie tickets are already so expensive. I've already cut back on a lot of extras because I'm saving up for a goal, so every bit helps. I also watch more movies online.

11. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    We don't go very often to the movies, but when we do go we normally buy our chocolates and sweets at the sweet shop that is right next to (but not part of) the movie theatre. The only thing that my husband would probably by at the theatre is popcorn.

12. koko

kokoBanned

Threads:
    Oh my friends always laugh at me when I go see a movie (which is admittedly rare) because I have to walk just right or I "rattle" and I always have on really baggy clothes that are 2 sizes too big. I hate paying the ticket price so there is NO WAY I am paying candy prices when I can go next door to the Dollar Store (really it is right next door to a theater here!) and get the same candy for $1 (and when I lived in Delaware it was no tax).

13. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    It depends, in the past we used to buy the combos available at the movies but soon we realized we were paying more for that than the movie itself. So, we adapted and just bought some chocolates, candy and a drink at a regular store and take it in with us. My one friend even took in her mcdonalds meal one day, lol.

So, yes, we take our snacks into the theater with us! With the money saved, we go for a coffee afterwards or so...

14. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    I always bought my food at the theater but I rarely ever go. It's been over a year since I set foot inside one. However, I do enjoy going to the drive-in in the summer and we always bring food there. I'm not sure why it's different for me. Maybe it's because we're eating in our own car instead of in a theater with a bunch of other people.

15. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Our local cinema had a pick n mix stall you could self serve and then pay at the till which was around a corner from the stall. I used to fill up 2 big bags of assorted candy and walk straight through to go watch a movie. I actually thought they were free because I seen someone doing it and just copied. LOL!! They never did pull me up about it and unknown to me at the time, I had free/stolen candy every week for a good few years.

#15Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  16. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    With a large family the tickets alone can break the bank. The snacks at the concession stands are poorly made and really expensive. Packaged items are usually marked up 200%. So in a word, YES! I defiantly sneak in my snacks and treats. Who wants to drop 20+ dollars on a drink, popcorn and and a candy bar. It's a rape of our wallets.

17. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We usually don't go to theaters so when we do, we usually buy the refillable drink and popcorn size and refill them at least once. There is just the two of us so we share them. It is a nice, romantic thing to do!

18. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    Ah yes! The old sneak food into the theater trick. Yes, I admit it. I'm one of those females that have the tote bad with everything in it including drinks and candy for the movies. Hey, I'm not crazy and don't have money to burn like that. It's already $25-30 for 2 adult tickets just to get in the theater in the evening so I'm not about to spend another $25 for 2 drinks and a small popcorn. I've learned to get thrifty. I now will choose to go to the first theater showing or a matinee movie before 6pm:D to pay 1/2 price and still bring my goodies in my bag.

19. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    It is best to take your own snacks to the theater because the stuff you get there is just too expensive. You've already paid enough for a movie ticket!! Chocolates, chips and juice are good options to take along. I sometimes do buy the popcorn at the theater. I think if you eat well before going to the theater, you don't need to worry about snacks at all. :)

20. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    I sneak candy in as long as it's not the kind of candy that is noisy when you open it. I like Mike n Ikes. Nothing's better than watching a movie and munching on a box full of Mike n Ikes. The only reason I sneak them in now is because the movie theater I go to doesn't carry them anymore. I will buy popcorn and soda and the occasional hot dog - don't get me wrong. I'm not above over-paying for food at the movie theater as long as the food enhances my experience. I just hate not having Mike n Ikes when I'm kicking back and watching a good flick.

P.S.

If the movie is terrible - no snack will save it for me . . .