Taking The Stairs Instead Of Taking The Elevator As A Form Of Exercise

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by sidney • Nov 23, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How many of you do that? I think forgoing taking the elevator and taking the stairs instead is a healthy way to lose some weight and get some much needed exercise. Does anyone on here do this or would you rather take the more convenient route and take the elevator instead?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I take the stairs, climbing the stairs helps to increase your stamina and it works the gluts. Instead of purchasing a stair climber walk up and down the stairs at work, on the train or when shopping. I prefer to avoid the elevator full of people with germs.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Pat@Pat So you have some sort of phobia with germs in general? I have never thought about that until now. I took the elevator recently but I did not catch any germs or sickness of any kind. I think aside from pressing that germ filled buttons, I think if there is someone inside the elevator who is sick with a flu for example, then I think that's where the problem starts.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do this whenever I can, as long as I'm not carrying anything heavy, and if I am wearing flat shoes. Sometimes I will run up an escalator instead, a bit of both. I have been trapped in an elevator before, so if one doesn't look safe, I will take the stairs.

5. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    If I'm wearing high heels or wedges, I won't be taking the stairs. I sometimes carry a little bottle of hand sanitizer so I'm not so worried about germs. It also depends on how many floors I'm going up. If there is like 200 floors and I have to get to the top floor, guess where going? This reminds me of the scene where rocky is trying to train himself and runs up a flight of stairs in the end.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this but only when I'm home and wouldn't mind perspiring a little anymore. Otherwise if it's early in the day and I'm going somewhere, especially if I'm meeting someone, I'd more likely just take the elevator of escalator because I don't want to be all sweaty that early in the day before all my activities even start. As long as it doesn't get in the way of my routine I'm for it but otherwise I'd much rather just set aside a dedicated time for exercise, to be honest.

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    It largely depends on how tall the building is and how much I'm carrying - as although I generally prefer to use the stairs - if faced with having to carry a heavy bag or bags up 10 - 20 flights of stairs - then I would definitely choose to take the elevator.

I don't however regard choosing to take the stairs rather than use an elevator - as a replacement to doing a regular workout - simply because - its virtually impossible for the average person to run up and down stairs for long enough or vigorously enough - to gain any of the health or fitness benefits of doing regular aerobic activity - such as riding a bike, using a stair machine or going to an exercise class.

That said - choosing to take the stairs rather than use the elevator is obviously way better for health than doing nothing at all.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to do that a lot when I lived in the 4th floor. However, now that I live on the 9th floor of a building, I don't take the stairs all that often! I did take them twice, and both times it was for exercising purposes. But It's a short workout - less than 8 minutes. So It might help when combined with other workouts, but alone I don't see that it would have much of an effect.

9. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    The school that I work in only has stairs. So every day I'm literally going up and down the stairs a dozen or more time. It's a great workout. When the weather is bad I have my class run the stairs. We go up and down the stairs for 10 minutes. The kids are sweating and they never knew that stair work was a great workout. I often opt for the stairs instead of the elevator. It's better for you and like someone said, you can avoid a few germs by not being in a crowded elevator. I think any extra steps you can add into your day will help.

10. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    Stairs are a great way to add to your workout. I lived in a third floor walk up last year and my legs were in the best shape of my life. Sometimes I wish I didn't move from there. I can't run stairs or walk a hundred flights but even three flight two or four times a day helped.

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My office is located on the 8th floor so I am exempted from taking the stairs, not to mention that I have a continual swelling on my leg. But our building has a big sign on every floor that going up or down a floor or 2 need not use the elevator. Walking the stairs is also recommended for good health. I have a colleague who actually goes up 4 floors and goes down just for his morning exercise. And she said it makes her feel good because the stairs, particularly when going up, is kind of strenuous.

12. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    I don't even have an elevator on my block, so I take the stairs every time, even when I have to take all my groceries and food. I don't really get exhausted though, as I'm kinda adapted to it. I feel like it could act like a nice warm up, rather than like a workout by itself.

13. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I work on the third floor and always take the stairs. Not really for health reasons, it's just quicker. Our lifts take forever to come down to you.

14. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I always feel like the elevator is going to break down. So I am actually scared of elevators. I do not like being in small spaces. Sometimes I take the stairs instead, but also because it is more exercise. Stairs is better for me, I always assume something could go wrong with a elevator.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @TheLovingLeah@TheLovingLeah, You must be claustrophobic then. Yeah you'll never know if something unfortunate happens to the elevator, so stairs are the safest, although tiring way to go.

16. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I think I am claustrophobic. I have this fear of being in a vent. My gosh vents are so tight spaced when you see it on TV. I would go crazy if I ever was in one. I cannot think of a scenario of me being in one though. Yeah I never want to be trapped in a elevator, even if it is just for a little bit. Stairs definitely can be tiring but YAY for safety! :p

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @TheLovingLeah@TheLovingLeah, I think going up the stairs is more tiring than going down, so for me I will just opt to go for the stairs if my way is descending and not ascending.

18. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what floor I have to get to. If it is five floor or below, then I have no issues in taking the stairs as I also want to have exercise incorporated in my busy day. I use the elevator when I have to go more than five floors since I get exhausted after the fifth floor when taking the stairs. In some public places like the mall, I take the stairs since I am also window shopping and it is nice to stroll around, instead of using the elevator, making me miss out on sales or discounts of the stores in the mall.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends where I am. In certain buildings (like malls, for example) I find elevators to be shady places lol. If I'm going up super high, I would rather the elevator regardless. If it's for weight loss, no exercise in the world will trump how you eat, so taking one over the other won't matter much. And if you're overweight, taking the stairs instead could actually do more harm than good. Get healthy first (food) and then you can go for the added stress of harder workouts etc. It's a common misconception that we have to push ourselves so hard for weight loss. And when obesity or just lacking health is an aspect, it's a dangerous one.

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of the time it depends upon where I am going and how much time I have to get there, or just on my energy levels and if I can be bothered to run up the stairs or not. I will say that I am not a fan of lifts though. They can be awkward little boxes, and very dirty. When it is raining and you go in them, the floors can be ghastly. Mostly though, I do take the stairs, usually because they are in sight. But I will sometimes use the lift too.