Taser vs Pepper Spray

Discussion in Misc & Others started by lindbergh • Jun 6, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We just transferred to a place known for having some drug deals. My mom wants to have some sort of self defense device with her at all times. She doesn't want a gun. She wants something less... lethal. She's looking at either a taser or a pepper spray. The taser is a lot more powerful and effective but a pepper spray is a lot cheaper. What do you think should I get for her?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I think pepper spray is weaker than a taser, so I would definitely suggest that you get her a taser instead, at least it's immobilizing powers are longer and more potent than pepper spray, and she can escape from the mugger more easily since he was electrocuted. You should never skimp on safety!

#2Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What of stun batons? They're great for close range attacks, for example if an assailant who was hiding in an alley jumps you. They're as effective as tasers but are relatively cheaper.

With pepper sprays however, you have to aim for the eyes. What if you miss?

4. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with Denis, what if you miss? or worse what if you spray on yourself accidentally? It's better to spend a little more than to be sorry later.

As an added protection, you can also buy her a whistle or those small alarms that makes a lot of noise at a push of a button. Criminals hate attracting attention while doing bad things so this might make him nervous and maybe (hopefully) just make him run away. :)

5. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    If I had to choose between a taser and a pepper spray, then I'd go with the latter. Simply because you can pepper spray someone from a safe distance. With a taser you need to get up close. But your best protection would be knowledge of places you should avoid after dark. Usually even in shady neighbourhoods there are safe and dangerous places.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I carry pepper spray. A taser requires you to be close to the perpetrator. I was robbed about 18 months ago and neither would have helped me though. The robbers were wearing sunglasses and they had guns so I just cooperated. My life is more valuable than anything that was in my purse. Sometimes that's best unless they make it clear that they are going to physically harm you.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, that sounds dangerous! Please be careful! I never owned a taser or pepper spray, but I know pepper spray is more widely available and more affordable. However, I personally would prefer a taser, I think it's more effective and scarier if you just need to scare someone. If you press a taser into the air it already does a scary clicking sound that is enough to scare someone even without using it. And if you need to use it, it's quite powerful.

8. Aprax

ApraxMember

Threads:
    I think a taser may be a bit extreme. I think pepper spray is more than enough to deter anyone interested in attacking your mother away. Usually tasers aren't used primarily for self defense.

9. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations. I looked into stun batons too and wanted to get that for her but she decided to stick with a pepper spray. She said that she won't be needing it all the time anyway. And she also said that if she got a taser or a stun baton, she might be tempted to use it more often on people that she hates. haha!