Tastes and Preferences . . . taking them into account

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • May 17, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When you go shopping you may, on a whim, decide to buy something for your Significant Other or kid. However there are times when you may buy something that the person you buy it for may not like. Fine, they may say thank you, you're the best, etc, but you'll note after sometime that that person is not wearing what you bought because the color, style, etc does not suit them.

When shopping for clothes, do you take into consideration the preferences of the person you're getting the clothes for to avoid wasting money getting them something they may never wear?

2. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I never ever buy clothes for other people. Ever. If there's a clothing store I know they like a lot, I'll get them a gift card to said place, but I would never buy something for them from the store. I bought my step-sister a pair of shoes for a Christmas present once, and while she thanked me, I could tell by the look on her face that she hated them. (They were shiny cherry red pumps, by the way) They've been sitting in her closet for the past year; she hasn't worn them once. But I also got the same exact pair for one of my friends (a Christmas slash Birthday present), and she loved them! She was gushing about how much she loved them the entire day, and I've seen her wear them several times. I've also tried buying my Father several ties before, and it always ends up with him returning at least one of them. I have gotten a few times that he's liked before, though I've stopped getting him ties for Christmas. I just give him a gift card to Macy's or Banana Republic now.

I also hate when people buy me clothes as presents, cause it's always the wrong size or something I would never wear in a million years. I either end up donating it or giving it away to a friend. Sigh.

3. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I try not to buy clothes for people because it is difficult to match a style correctly. Then I feel horrible if they do not wear the clothing. However, I have had to buy clothes for people before. I try to take in to consideration or what they already have, then I try to match it up with something of better quality. This usually works best for me.

4. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to buying clothes for others, I will get a gift card for a store I know they shop at. While a gift card is often thought of to be a poor gift, clothing is so personal that it can't really be purchased by someone else. It is one think to buy socks or jeans for someone it is quite another to buy a shirt or a dress. And like Kitty, I also don't like to receive clothing as a gift. Even if a lot of thought is put into the purchase, it may be ill fitting or not something I am going to wear.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I try to give gift cards to the stores they like. Unless a person says they are in love with a particular item, I spare myself the hassle. The only thing I encourage is that they use the card quickly because so many retailers are merging and going out of business.