Teen Boys and Christmas

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Joyce aka Nana • Nov 27, 2012.

1. Joyce aka Nana

Joyce aka NanaNew Member

Threads:
    I have a 17-year-old son, a junior in high school, and of course, everything he wants for Christmas is expensive. Even video games are expensive! This is my question. If you have teens, this could apply to boys or girls I''m sure, how do you handle the Christmas thing when it comes to the amount you spend? We usually get him one "big ticket" item and then smaller ticket items, which he will have on his list. This year all he has on his list is big ticket items. He knows he's not going to get them all, but how do I decide what is best. I have asked him which he would rather have and he laughs and says all. I know what he "needs" the most, but I really want him to be happy with what he gets.

Any ideas on how I should handle this?

Thanks.

2. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Well, you could always purchased used video games. I remember when I played video games about 10 years ago, you could get used ones for $10. Why not do that, if you don't mind my saying so? When I was a teenager, though, I usually accepted about anything and I understood the circumstances of my family's financial situation. You could also treat him like an adult and explain that money is tight, especially in this economy.

With that being said, try your luck at Amazon because they have a lot of stuff that would be cheaper and be the solution to your Christmas woes.

3. Joyce aka Nana

Joyce aka NanaNew Member

Threads:
    Good ideas. He does know and understand the economy situation because he has seen if affect us the last few years. The used game thing is this...the only one he wants is a new one out. What he usually does to get the new game is to sell is old ones to Game Stop and then he can get the new one, and he may have to do that after Christmas. We have bought many used games in the past and I am sure that we will buy more for our grandson.

Our son is not a brat so he will not even show it if he is disappointed, but I am trying to figure out a way to make sure he's not disappointed. I had thought about maybe giving him a couple small things and money so he could just choose what he wants after Christmas and maybe he would even get a good deal on something. My husband disagrees, but I really think he might enjoy that.

Oh, well, still have time to think about it, huh?

Thanks for the thoughts.

4. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    Undoubtedly, as children grow is more difficult to find the perfect gift for Christmas. Today, fashion turns wreak havoc on the taste of younger and every week they want something different. It's good that the times change, we can't deny that fact. I think that your children receive the gift well you will do, it is always gratifying to receive a gift from mom. I think your idea is correct. :)

5. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I was wondering the same thing. I have a 14 year old nephew, and have no idea what to give him. Is it wrong to just give him a Visa Giftcard so he can just pick put what he wants?

6. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Your son is lucky! I'm 17 and I haven't gotten anything for Christmas from my parents for the last couple years... apparently I'm too old for gifts now. Yeah, I know, it's sad :p

You mentioned he's aware of the current economic situation of your family, and we're talking about a 17-year-old here. He should understand you can't afford to buy him all the presents he wants. We're not talking of a 7-year-old kid here; I mean, I haven't gotten any gifts from my parents from the last couple of years, but I understand that's because we've been facing some hard times.

7. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Try looking on ebay for the new one. It would still be cheaper than going to a store like game stop. Have you ever tried using websites to earn gift cards? I like using Swagbucks and Gift Hulk and earn gift cards that I use to Christmas shop. I couple that with a coupon and save tons on my holiday shopping. I have been doing this for four years now. Sign up for store newsletters and you usually get a thank you coupon. If you want to get him the game, find a way to get it for less.

8. Joyce aka Nana

Joyce aka NanaNew Member

Threads:
    Steph...thanks for the idea.

Yes, I use Swagbucks. We get Amazon gift cards all the time! I will try the other one too!

addicted_buyer -- Yes, he is 17 and well aware of what is going on around him, but still "my baby" LOL...I know. I don't like any of my children to be disappointed on holidays, that's just the mother in me. My oldest is 35! LOL Dont' want her to be disappointed either! Even though you are not my child, I don't want you to be disappointed either. :)

Thanks.

9. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I have a 16 year old and this year we are also giving him just the one big ticket item. If your teen laughs it off and says he wants all of them then figure out what he wants the least. Tell him you'll get him that one pretending you don't know he likes it the least. That will sober him up and he'll tell you what he really wants. He's also old enough to be made aware of your financial situation, tell him so he'll appreciate that even this item is a sacrifice. I had to tell my son that since I had to resign last year and am now working only part time so I can supervise them more. Oh as for the video games some of them cost less if downloaded instead of store bought. And just to let you know my son blogs and writes online to buy his own video games and he's fine with that.

10. LovelyLanie

LovelyLanieMember

Threads:
    Joyce aka Nana - your son sounds like a nice kid. I have a 15 year old son, and I usually get him the one big ticket item and several small items that are purchased throughout the year. For me the key is that one item, the thing with the wow factor that will make his day special. Everything else is just gravy. I think girls are easier, you can always buy them clothing, perfume and jewelry, but boys are a bit harder. I'm on the same page as you - give 'em cash!

11. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I know what will easy all of you guys mind and it is to give them a gift card and tell them whatever they want they can buy themselves with that and if you don't have enough on your gift card to buy it, keep saving until they can buy it for themselves. Let them be responible for there own toy, etc.

12. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I ran into this this year with my 13 year old son. He ONLY wanted 3 items. And nothing else.
    Well, we got him one of the items he asked for. And other stuff. He said he wanted no "little gifts" so instead we got him stuff he needed... a sweatshirt, bowling shoes, axe gift set, etc.