Teeth Whitening

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by maddie • Oct 9, 2012.

1. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I love to have white, shiny teeth, who doesn't? I use soda bicarb and lemon juice to whiten my teeth once a week. Does anyone here use other stuff to whiten teeth? I don't think I am going to buy one more product off the shelf for this. If you have any suggestion please post it here. Thanks.

2. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    Since I started using Colgate Optic White, I will buy no other toothpaste. I really believe it has made my teeth at least 3 shades whiter. The taste is pretty strong, but you get used to it very quickly.

3. mnicole

mnicoleMember

Threads:
    I've been using Colgate luminous for the past two weeks and already see results. I didnt think a toothpaste alone could do the job but it has no complaints at all.

4. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! if I could get my teeth three shades whiter with a tooth paste why not try that? I am off to get myself both of those. I am crazy about white teeth. I don't mind the strong taste, the lemon juice and soda-bicarb is strong by itself... so this can't trouble me too much. Thanks guys, I have never tried the optic white or the luminous before. :)

5. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I don't recommend this, I repeat, I DO NOT recommend this! I saw one of the Gypsy/Traveler shows on TLC, and one of the ladies brushed her teeth once a week with real bleach and water. She said she is extra careful not to swallow. Ok, she had white teeth, but gosh one wrong move and she will burn her throat and stomach! Oh basing, I just found the video. Sorry the forum wouldn't let me add it but here is the link.

6. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    You do not recommend what, Farah? :confused: Nobody here has mentioned using household bleach on teeth!

Back to the OP, a mixture of soda bicarb and lemon juice is a good option; so is hydrogen peroxide. I’ve tried both and they are equally effective in whitening teeth. I’m interested in the Colgate luminous and optic white toothpastes but haven’t seen them in the UK. What is available here, instead, is Colgate’s MaxWhite which promises to make your teeth one shade whiter in one week. Now, that sounds impressive.

7. A.P.W.

A.P.W.Member

Threads:
    I use a great whitening pen that i got from ebay, they are a kind of bleach that really make a difference, and cheap too!

8. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Gina I think that was Farrah's warning to her own post, nope I don't want to burn my throat and intestines with bleach for some white teeth.. lol
    Yeah I have used hydrogen peroxide but the taste and the burning doesn't leave you with a great feeling. These Colgate products are still not available here either. I just checked that out..I may have to wait until then ..I am back to my lemon juice on soda bicarb.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide in an eight ounce glass of water as a mouth rinse. It's a great plaque remover. The taste isn't the best, but it works. My mom uses baking soda with peroxide as toothpaste. Her teeth are very white.

10. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I actually buy "tooth soap" off of Etsy, from a seller who makes her own soaps and other products. It's nice to know exactly what I am putting on my teeth. It does feel cleaner, too! If anyone is interested, I'll post a link to the shop I bought it from on Etsy. I occasionally use "regular" toothpaste - Colgate, to be exact. I used to use baking soda a lot and I think that it is a great thing to use for your teeth.

I am too nervous to try teeth whitening products, such as pens, because I feel like they would make my teeth very sensitive.

11. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    I limit myself to flossing daily, brushing twice a day and going to the dentist every now and then and my teeth are pretty good :)

12. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Lemon juice to whiten teeth... I see how it would work, but wouldn't all that citric acid weaken your enamel? I would suggest using peroxide rather than lemon juice. I use it myself (usually after a few too many cups of coffee) and it really does work.

13. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    Using the Colgate iuminious and the other toothpaste mentioned should be effective, based on the comments. I would not indulge in the whiteners that use chemicals, as I have read that your teeth turn blue after a while and that does not sound too good for your teeth at all.

14. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    Hey! I've used baking soda before. I've even tried it with hydrogen peroxide. And both do work miracles. My teeth get bright white and they are so shiny. But I have to warn you not to use these remedies often. They can ruin your enamel over time. If you go to a natural, organic grocery store like Whole Foods, Greenwise, and Trader Joe's, you can find alternatives to regular toothpaste. The only problem is they will cost more.

15. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I have been using baking soda and lemon juice for years now.. I haven't had any issues so far. I will give the peroxide again, a little more carefully or even more diluted. Thank you for all the help and the suggestions. I really appreciate them. Have a great day everyone.

16. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    According to the bottle, you should use half peroxide and half water. Using it straight is way too strong and it will probably burn.

17. retnam

retnamMember

Threads:
    I use baking soda but not often because it can damage the teeth. I brush daily with peroxide. I also use activated charcoal to brush and it does a good job of whitening too. It's in the drugstore on the laxative aisle in pill form. I open the pills and pour the charcoal into a small container and dip my moist toothbrush into it.

18. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard quite a bit about active charcoal. I haven't been able to get it here locally. I would love to use it.

@ gina thanks for the instruction. I appreciate that.

19. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    haha okay! I just got confused.

>>Lemon juice to whiten teeth... I see how it would work, but wouldn't all that citric acid weaken your enamel<<

The harsh effects of lemon juice get neutralized by adding soda bicarb.

Yes, peroxide must be diluted. Neat would be too strong. :)

20. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    One weird way to whiten teeth but really works is to use the banana peel and and scrub it on your teeth. Just use it for a week continously and your teeth will whiten surely. I've been using this method whenever my teeth is not white enough. :)