Telling your SO what to wear?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by chiofthenorns • Oct 12, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Do you really have a say on what your SO should wear? I usually hear my brother and sister-in-law talking about what the other should wear to a certain event. I don't do something like this though. As long as my partner is wearing clean and appropriate clothes, I let him choose what he wants to wear.

2. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I don't ever tell my S/O what to wear, and he doesn't do it either. I think it's silly, but some people are okay with that kind of thing, because they think they're S/O is just trying to help me out. I really don't care what he wears though, as you said, as long as he wears something clean and appropriate, it's fine.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Everyone should dress as they please. Most of the time.

For special occasions, couples could discuss what they should wear to the event [or whatever]. But should one choose an outfit for the other? No.

I know for a fact though that it's women who are guilty of this. They believe they have better tastes when it comes to dressing so take it upon themselves to choose for their husbands what they feel is the best [for the day].

4. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    If I'm going to an event or dinner with my boyfriend, we try to coordinate our outfits - but other than that I don't see a point in telling someone what to wear. We want to look nice but neither of us tells the other what to wear. I've made a comment about a tie not matching or him wearing different shoes and that is usually it. He's done the same, but neither of us is trying to tell the other what they should be wearing.

I don't think that anyone should tell the other what to wear, even if they are in a relationship.

5. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I first got into my relationship my girlfriend (currently my wife) wanted to dress me like a Ken doll lol, but now she "allows" me to dress the way I like, I think it's supposed to be like that. We should dress what we like, how we feel comfortable.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think telling your partner what to wear is acceptable, unless you are embarrassed by his or her terrible fashion sense, then that's the only time it may be justified. Or if the girl is wearing whore-like outfits that will make her prone to being disrespected by men. Apart from those 2 reasons, couples should definitely not dictate what their partner should wear, because doing so is like stifling their personal sense of style.

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's a good idea to tell them what to wear. If makes you sound controlling, which is not good for your relationship. I would just ask them what they are planning to wear to make sure I was not going to be wearing something that was to radically different on the dressiness scale.

8. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I don't tell each other what to where...it's not really that kind of relationship where we'd try to dictate, but sometimes we'll ask each other for advice on it or at the very least try to coordinate well. Sometimes he'll mention that a certain outfit is one he really loves on me, and I try to pay attention to that kind of thing. But I wouldn't be comfortable with either of us telling the other what to wear.

9. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    My husband does not tell me what t wear and I do not tell him what to wear either.
    It is clear that everyone needs to feel comfortable in what they are wearing.
    And some people like to use that as a way to control their partner even though it is ridiculous.

10. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I think that through the years we have both just gotten to the point where we do not even both anymore. If we were direct with other we would probably hurt some feelings, if we try humor the humor usually just bounces back and forth and nothing changes, and any other sort of passive aggression or anything just makes it worse. It was just one of those things that fell into place, but if something went severely wrong - like say a mumu experiment - then I would like to think that we could say something to one another.