Terry Pratchett Has Died

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Aladar • Mar 12, 2015.

1. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Official Facebook page of Terry posted this today:

"It is with immeasurable sadness that we announce that author Sir Terry Pratchett has died.

The world has lost one of its brightest, sharpest minds. Rest in peace Sir Terry Pratchett."

It's sad, but sadly can't say we didn't know it was coming.. he was in a bad shape already. :(

2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I have just read the news earlier. :(

It's really saddening. He also suffered from Alzheimer's disease The man was amazing but I know he will always be loved as he had already contributed so much to the field of literature.

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, yeah, that's what killed him. I guess it's still better he passed now, than later. He always said he wants to die before his Alzheimer's will prevent him from knowing his own family..

4. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    It's sad that he has died but I can see why he wanted to go before the Alzheimer's stole him from himself. I'm starting a binge-read of the discworld books in his memory. :) It should keep me occupied for weeks. He was an amazing (and prolific) writer.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    He really was. You know when a book is good when you just start to visualize the whole world and the scenes just reading the book, without having to even think about it..

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard of Terry Pratchett but I did not go so far as to read his books. In the near future, I might. Although I'm interested, I still have three or so pending books to read. I still have the Hitchhiker series in my queue so it may take some time to seriously consider Sir Pratchett's works. May he find peace wherever he is now.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Hitchhiker series is actually not that long, the books are around 200 pages each and it's a really easy writing. I usually finished a book in thwo-three days of very casual reading. :)

8. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    This was such sad news. I got into Terry Prachetts discworld because my husband was a big fan. The man was just brilliant, he's use of the English language would make me laugh, not because it was bad but because he would invent his own words and we all knew what he meant. Such an amazing author that will be sadly missed.

9. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, diseases are awful. But yeah, as I said before, it's better that he passed away now, sick, but lucid and among his own family, instead of dying in the last stages of the disease without being able to even recognize his own children...