Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ohiotom76 • Nov 7, 2012.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I just stumbled across this recipe for an Herbed Green Bean Casserole on Chow.com. This looks like a great alternative to making the old stand-by with canned cream of mushroom soup. I suppose if you wanted to make it even easier, you could try using one of the herb and garlic flavored Boursin cheeses mixed with cream as well.

(the link wouldn't point directly too the video, so just search for "Herbed Green Bean Casserole" on the site if you're interested)

Trying anything new for this Thanksgiving?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I haven't actually thought about what I'm doing for Thanksgiving this year. More than likely, I won't be with family this time around, so I won't be doing a huge feast like I normally do. I would still want to do some of my classic/traditional dishes, though, so maybe I'll play around with some of those to make them more creative.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hope to be traveling during Thanksgiving this year too. My family has standard side dishes during the holidays. It's the only time we eat those dishes so we pretty much stick to the menu. We have Southern cornbread dressing, roasted sweet potatoes, green beans, collard greens, potato salad and homemade cranberry sauce.

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    About ten years ago, we decided to do a seafood version of Thanksgiving. It was awesome! We had Alaskan King Crab legs boiled in a seasoned pot with lemons, onions and herbs. We had grilled, cedar smoked salmon. We also had pan seared scallops and some garlic shrimp fettuchini. For sides, just some steamed veggies and Hawaiin sweet rolls were plent enoungh. For dessert, we had the Kaluah Creme Pie from Cyrus O'Learys. This is one feast I would like to do again sometime but with company coming, we have to go traditional this year. Maybe next year....

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    !!!!

I'm so glad to see someone else that doesn't always go traditional, too! We did this for Christmas one year. We skipped the ham, turkey, duck, etc....and went all out on the seafood. It was a whole table full of so many kinds of seafood, including some swordfish, and was one of the best holiday meals I have ever had.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would love to try something like that since I love pretty much all kinds of seafood. Most of my family is Italian and my extended family as a whole does eat a lot of seafood, so this would go over well with them. However my immediate family doesn't care for seafood - especially when you start getting into stuff like calamari and mussels. Maybe one of these holidays, I will try and split the menu to include about half seafood and see how that goes over. I would inhale those crab legs, lol.

I was out in Vegas a few months ago, and hit up the seafood buffet at the Rio, and I definitely got my moneys worth and then some, lol.

7. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    This won't be the first year I've done so, but a couple of years ago I took my special Maker's Mark bread pudding to Thanksgiving at my family's gathering and my brother's in-laws flipped! Now I take it to whichever side of the family we're with that year, and it's always been a hit. I know I shouldn't take pleasure in watching the preparers of the traditional desserts get slightly offended because everyone prefers my dessert over theirs, but I just can't help it:)