The Best Place To Buy Seeds

Discussion in Home & Garden started by dashboardc33 • Apr 17, 2015.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    There are a lot of hardware stores that sell seeds. Usually when they are on sale they are 4 for $1, which is a pretty good deal as long as long as they are good quality seeds. However, at my last trip to Menards I saw some good Burpee seeds for 9 cents per packet! That is a really good deal. If you have a Menards in your area, check it out, you may find that they have this sale by you as well.

2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I like to check out the free sample sites in the spring because they tend to give out free seed samples. I just got two in the mail today. One was to promote butterflies with milkweed seeds & the other to promote bees with primrose seeds. All for the low low price of freeee!

3. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy a lot of seeds anymore because I often end up not using them. It is also easier to grow plants when you can get healthy plugs from a nursery because it takes so much of the work out and you don't have to worry about germination success. That said, you can get seeds from just about everywhere these days, including the dollar store.

4. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I just remembered I signed up online for free seeds as part of this "feed the bees" program. It's been a few weeks, but I haven't received any seed yet. I wonder how long it's going to take to arrive...

5. Aurelia

AureliaNew Member

Threads:
    My favorite place to buy seeds is

. All of their seeds are non GMO and they have a huge variety of seeds to choose from. Every year my Mom grows the best

and

tomatoes that end up being huge and giving us more tomatoes than we know what to do with.

The problem with buying seeds from Burpee and other big names like that is that the tomatoes you grow are either hybrids or genetically modified. This means the plants you get end up being sterile, so you have to buy more seeds every year. With heirloom seeds you can save the seeds from the fruits that you like and use them next year. Plus once you've tasted an heirloom variety of tomato you won't want anything else, as these plants have been bred for years to have a better taste and higher nutrition.