The best toothpaste

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Dora M • Mar 18, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since most conventional toothpastes have a lot of sugar in them, I decided to look for alternatives. I have been using simple baking soda for a year now, and my teeth are whiter than ever. From time to time I like to buy a natural toothpaste from Weleda.
    Do you give your toothpaste any thought at all? After all, you put it in your mouth at least twice a day.

2. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    In general I use Colgate Total Whitening, but it sounds like the baking soda would work great! I was curious if you use an actual over the counter brand of toothpaste with baking soda in it, or if you use regular baking soda. I'd like something that will whiten my teeth better, especially since I'm definitely a coffee lover! :)

3. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    It's a toss up between Colgate and Crest. I used to only use the cheapest brands because of the price but once I started couponing, I tried some of the more expensive ones. Crest and Colgate have a nice taste and leave your breath fresh but it depends certain ones because I tried Colgate Optic White and absolutely hated it.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Toothpaste has sugar? I didn't even know! Doesn't that go against what the toothpaste is for. If it has sugar, won't that attract cavities?
    I usually use Colgate, it's my favorite brand. I have been using the Luminous White, and even though I don't really feel a difference in whitening, it's pretty decent.

5. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I am more worried about all the fluoride in toothpaste, then the sugar. I tried using a herbal alternative but I didn't like it my favourite toothpaste was Colgate oxygen but it would seem it's been discontinued. So I now use oral B or colgate whitening. My partner insists on Aquafresh because he likes the bottle :)

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ladybug, you can use ordinary baking soda from the supermarket. But I would recommend that you try and get one that is aluminium free and doesn't have anti-caking agents in it. You'll find it in health food stores. What I do is I dip my toothbrush into a food grade 3% hydrogen peroxide solution and then into the baking soda. Make sure to bend over the sink so the baking soda runs out of your mouth. It has a strong salty taste. Don't swallow it.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    isabbela, the sugars hidden in toothpaste come under all different names. If you do a google search you will be surprised what is hiding in your commercial toothpaste. Apart from the sugars, there is also SLS (Sodium lauryl sulphate), which is commonly used as a foaming agent in toothpaste, shampoos and soaps. Another common ingredient in teeth whitening products and cosmetics is the emulsifier triethanolamine (TEA). When you mix TEA and SLS together you form a type of nitrosamine that has been shown to increase the risk of developing cancer.
    Check out this link:

8. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I don't even know much about toothpastes, but I trust commercials when they say that Colgate is the number one toothpaste brand recommended by dentists. It seems to be true because I've been using Colgate ever since I was probably born and it works fine on my teeth.

I don't know about the brand in its scientific aspects, but I think it's safe due to the fact that I've never had any side effects or anything. It makes my breath smell good and it gives me a nice fresh feeling, which I love.

My choice is Colgate.

9. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I have been using Colgate since I was a small kid. I think it is among the best toothpastes that the whole word recognizes. Through the years Colgate has always been updating the formula of their toothpaste to make it better. I must say it is among the most used toothpastes in the whole world.