The Best Way To Save When Travelling?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Oct 22, 2013.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks to the global banking network, these days with your debit card you can withdraw your cash from virtually any ATM in the world. When traveling abroad, this can be as convenient as it can be bad to your pocket. If you want to avoid impulse buying since most tourists tend to like showing off [how 'rich' they are], should you carry only the money you need in your wallet and leave you debit card at home?

Any ways one can save, even if that includes part of the money you budgeted to spend during your vacation?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I always carry extra money for emergencies, especially when I'm far away from home. If I had to save, I'd just save somewhere else, or just do my best to control myself from spending all I have. As far as savings go, I always book flights and reservations way ahead of time so they usually come out for a fraction of the original cost. This way, I can feel less guilty about spending so much on myself because I'd be pretty much only spending what I saved on the flight and lodging.

3. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I don't use travel agencies, I always do the research about the place and everything so I wont be paying extra fee for the agencies. I also don't check in super expensive hotel, I buy plane tickets early because it's cheaper. These are some that I do when I travel to save money.

4. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    For me the best ways to save when travelling are:
    1. buy the trip online in a discount site
    2. if driving, stay in a hotel where you can walk most of the time
    3. stay in a apart-hotel where you can cook and in this way you can save in restaurants

All my holidays are like this. :)

5. DaBlink182

DaBlink182New Member

Threads:
    It's easy to get lost in a lot of touristy things when you're on vacation. For instance, when you take a plane (take a cheap one and book it outside of travel companies, this will save you some money too) and you arrive at your destination, there's usually a ton of places that live off of tourists. Not only is it hard to resist these kind of places when you just had a long day of travelling, but they're usually rediculously expensive compared to similar places further into town. Try to do research on things like renting cars and booking hotels before you leave. This will help you tremendously and it'll prevent you from impulse renting a car that you could've rented for half the price if you went to the shop around the corner.

So, do your research before you go, try to explore the area and look past the tourist spots and you should be fine. Bringing a debit card, however, may be a good idea. If you keep these things in mind you'll find that the debit card might come in useful anyway, like when there's an emergency of any kind. Or just keep enough cash to get you out of bad situations.

Well, one thing left to say, Have Fun!

6. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I always bring all my cards now. I have to have emergency cash all the time especially when I'm not in my own country.

7. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    I hate travel agents because mostly do scam with the traveler and Ihave no trust on the agents but if you want to safe travel then must to increase the budget and travel through good airline..

8. CraftsAndLooms

CraftsAndLoomsMember

Threads:
    I prefer traveling on my own without any fixed travel packages. I gather information about the place where I am going and start exploring it on my own. Its a different joy altogether!