The Dollar Tree

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by spacetimecontinuum • Oct 17, 2014.

1. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    I know I'm really late to this particular party, but I've only just heard of this store, is it really as great as people say?, or is it just an overabundance of dross made in China?:rolleyes:

The only reason I know about it now, is that I've seen some people waxing lyrical about it on youtube.

So what are your thoughts? is this place an illusory, false economy or are there actually great things to be scored there.

Any feedback would be appreciated before I schelp to one of these places.

Thanks.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the store is great, but it depends what you wan to buy and how big the store is.

They sell genuine Sharpies packs of two for $1 and are very good for notepads and sticky notes. I buy household things like freezer bags and plastic containers, Rubbermaid and Betty Crocker brands. Some sell food and I've had Kraft mac and cheese and Campbells soup. It can be hot and miss depending on stock which varies, but is great for gift wrap, cards, and basics. You can look on their website for an idea of what they sell.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have scored a lot of good things there. Not everything is made in China. All the shampoos and conditioners and body wash products I have seen are made in the USA. I do not buy food there however because I do not feel the quality is good and I do not want to put junk in my body. It is my go to store for greeting cards, picture frames, and other little things like that. Also can get pretty decent socks for 2-3 pair for a dollar.

4. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    Thanks for the feedback guys, there are a couple in New York, so I'm going to investigate and see what all the fuss is about...I mean after all, one can never have too many Sharpies. :)

5. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Dollar Tree is one of my favorite stores! There are WONDERFUL deals there. It's a very convenient place to shop that, depending on your area, has just about a bit of everything! I shop there all of the time and find it to be very nice when checking out because I can always keep count of how much I'm spending. It's also a wonderful place to buy snacks for a movie! Can't beat getting a full box for a dollar whereas at movie theaters it cost almost four to five for a small package.

6. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    You should buy a bunch of movie snacks from Dollar Tree and sell them whilst you're online waiting to get in, you'd make a killing!...or at the very least it would pay for your movie.

Hey, wait a minute, did I just give a away a good idea?, lol.

"got those snacks, check out these snacks" :)

7. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I love the Dollar Tree in my town. I'm not sure if each one has different items or not, but I've found a lot of great deals. I usually stock up on bath & body products, kitchen items (spatulas, spoons, etc), and there are always some good food items in the stores as well.

I would advise always checking expiration dates as a precaution. I used to work in a grocery store and they can easily be missed when stock is being put out onto the sales floor. Dollar Tree has a lot of name brand items and you can even order online and pickup in the store closest to you. If you ship it to your Dollar Tree then the shipping is free.

I usually go to Dollar Tree during the holiday season to get stocking stuffers and small additions to other gifts.

8. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    The Dollar Tree is top of the line for the 99 cent stores. I used to live near one and it was amazing some of the things you could buy in there, especially brand name stuff. Unfortunately, I am surrounded by a bunch of knockoffs that do have nothing but the cheap crap that even 99 cents may be too much to spend on.

9. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Being frugal in this current U.S.A. economy, is a must for most people, hence Dollar Tree stores have been booming in business. Dollar Tree is a okay store to purchase cheap end stuff, which I go to shop at mostly for utensils, party materials, cheap office supplies, sometimes canned foods, and batteries. To me, the store is a like a corporate mini-mart, where one can obtain simple and cheap items quickly.

10. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think they're entirely junk- there are definitely some good deals to be scored there but it really depends on what you're looking for. Obviously some things are better to get there than others. I've had good experiences getting office/school supplies, snacks, containers & organization stuff and that kind of thing there. There are some really awesome deals to be found if you're okay putting in a little time and looking past some of the junk.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Dollar Tree is a mixed bag, there are some great deals there for $1, but they also carry many items that typically cost less than $1 at other stores so you need to be careful what you are grabbing. In some very rare cases they will sell some items for less than $1 or they may have a sign that specifies 4/$100 for example. Plus you should consider their portion sizes. Their chips for example are not name brand and the bags are a fraction of the size of what you get with the name brands. On the other hand, their off brand sodas come in huge 3 liter bottles for $1 which is much cheaper than a brand name 2-liter, and great for parties. Stuff like their canned goods however, you can often get many of those items for like 59 cents a can elsewhere so there is no sense in paying $1 for them there.

I've had bad experiences with their shampoo/body washes, they were all off brand stuff, and the contents were very watered down and diluted.

12. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    Well guys you've convinced me, I'm going to go there with $50 and see what awesome things I can score. Maybe I'll even do a video of my haul and post it here(if that's allowed, I'm not sure?)...anyway, if it's not allowed, I'll just post what I bought and see whether I think it really is an awesome deal, or just so, so.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dollar Tree is possibly the best dollar store I've been to because everything actually is a dollar. There are cobalt blue wine glasses nice enough to serve guests with, cleaning products that actually work and baking pans that I've made several cakes in, for $1. Some Dollar Tree stores even have frozen foods for $1.

14. askanison

askanisonMember

Threads:
    Dollar Tree isn't a bad place to shop. You can't do all of your shopping there of course, but there are tons of things worth buying. All of my cleaning supplies for my home are from there and do the same job as the name brands. Depending on the size of the store and the location you can sometimes find some great deals on name brand products also. It really depends on where your store is located and the area around it. I have found many deals on everything from school supplies to socks. You may have to try a few different brands that they offer, but you can find snacks and some food items that are worth the time also. I would always read over the labels though so you know just exactly what you are getting.

15. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    Well I know I'm going to buy any toiletries from there, as I am a product snob and any item with ingredients which contain more than 5 syllables and abundance of X+Y's, or end with the suffix EN, I'm not putting anywhere near my skin.
    If there's any food be be scored the expiration date has to be well into the future, like 2017, not expiring in the next month. I think the things I will be able to score there are some cool storage bits and pieces and maybe some cool stationery.

We shall see.

16. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    I love dollar tree! It's amazing, EVERYTHING is a dollar. It does have some great things to offer. If you want a cheap book, office supplies, a quick snack or even party supplies; Dollar Tree has it. When I had my wedding, I bought so many things from Dollar Tree that it was unreal! Candles, Plates, Plastic Cutlery, Bowls, Balloons. It's espcially great if you are a crafter or DIY type person. There are tons of DIY crafts and projects online that use dollar store items. I'm not talking about macaroni crafts either, I'm talking about beautiful centerpieces and tons of other cool stuff. If you're not a crafter, it's still a gem of a store. I get packing supplies from dollar tree often for my Etsy store, it really cuts down on costs and serves it's purpose. You will find a LOT of made in China type things there, but don't write it off just yet, check it out.

#16Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm sure the store has other wares than just those that come from China. Also, even though China's well-known for mass supplying items to the point of forgoing quality standards (they don't adhere to ISO, in case you're wondering), who knows you may land on a non-defective item. Just to make sure, though, don't purchase anything unless you're confident about it.

18. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I don't have any major problems with this particular store. I don't frequent it often. But if I need something quick like detergent or candy, or soft drinks, I'll make a stop there. It's pretty convenient. A lot more convenient that going through the trouble of going to Target or Wal-Mart, or the grocery store even.

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like Dollar Tree better than Dollar General. Dollar Tree prices are all $1 at the Dollar General the prices vary and sometimes be hirer than in the regular store. There seems to be more craft type items at Dollar Tree and bath products that I like to use.

20. barkingsquirrel

barkingsquirrelMember

Threads:
    I like to go into Dollar tree to see what they have at least once or twice a week. I recently purchased Acne Free over there that I was paying close to $20 for at Wal-Mart! Usually, I pick up things like tissue paper and gift bags, pencils for school, sharpies, foil, kitchen gadgets (mainly slotted spoons or spatulas) that are brand-name like Betty Crocker. I found Gatorade over there the other day that costs more at Wal-Mart and Shaw's.