The economy of cycling

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Dora M • Sep 8, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It can't be denied that the use of cars has made ​​life easier for us in many ways, but it has also created a number of problems, such as environmental pollution and ever increasing expenses, on many levels.
    I think it would be a good idea if cars were only utilized for long distances, such as driving between cities or countries, and that we focused more on riding bicycles in our towns and cities, thereby reducing pollution and the use of Fossil fuels. Another aspect would be that we could also save on tax expenses.
    What do you think?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That would be a great idea. Most people who don't have much time to exercise would also be healthier because riding a bike is great for exercising — it burns some calories, doesn't it? But people prefer the convenience of not having to do much work either in the morning or in the evening, after work which is probably the reason why most cities won't enact such laws.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many cities now have hire bike schemes ( I worked on one) to encourage people to cycle and have invested in cycle lanes. It is better for the environment and cheaper. The only downside is when the weather is bad, whether snow or rain and it's not a comfortable or sensible journey. Also, in big cities, nice bikes get stolen.

I am all for reducing carbon emissions, but some people don't want to swap their car keys. At least bicycles are easier to 'park' though not always safer, so a fold up bike is another option and to carry it around with you.

4. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    This is definitely a good idea. I also had the idea of making bikes that were attached to battery packs so that the movement of the wheels could charge it as they go, and it could be used later for charging things up, or plugging things in. It would use the energy that you were already creating to help you to save a little bit on your household bills. Of course, it would take a fair amount of time to make the cost of this worthwhile, so you would have to be fairly dedicated to it, but I do genuinely believe that there is the scope for this at some point because people are trying to save money and get fit - and this item falls into both of those categories.