The infamous Snuggie!

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by BonnyC • Apr 11, 2012.

1. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    The snuggie has been mentioned in my other thread about pajama jeans, but I really feel that it deserves its own thread. I made jokes about it right along with a lot of other people when it first came out. Then, a few years ago, my mother in law got me a knock off snuggie for Christmas. I changed my opinion very quickly.

The one she got me is still in decent shape, though I did have to repair the stitching on one of the sleeves. I can't count that against it since mine isn't an official snuggie.

That being said, I am super pleased with it. I use it every year until it gets too hot for it. I love having my arms free while still being covered up. I read a lot, so it's convenient for that. It's quite long and wide, so I can stretch out or lay on my side and stay covered up.

My ratings for the knock off snuggie out of 10 are as follows:

Comfort/performance 10/10
    Quality 6/10
    Price 10/10

I'd love to hear from anyone that has a Snuggie brand snuggie to compare it against the off brand.

2. Brendan

BrendanMember

Threads:
    I love the Snuggie! I will be honest, when it first came out I thought it was a stupid idea. One of my buddies had one, and we all made fun of him for it. He made me try it out, just for fun. And, I fell in love! It's a great product. I bought my girlfriend one for her birthday. :)

3. xtina3907

xtina3907Member

Threads:
    I love my Snuggie! There is nothing like wearing my Snuggie, sitting on the couch and watching my movies! My husband and my 6 year old boy also have one. As soon as my one year old girl gets big enough to wear one then she will be getting one too!

4. MegaZx

MegaZxNew Member

Threads:
    I never thought that snuggies were good, but now I might reconsider. I normally go shirtless but carry my blanket around in my house, so have sleeves and staying warm at the same time might make it less of a hassle. I used to laugh at their commercials and when I tried out a generic brand of the snuggies which I purchased on Black Friday, it was cold and horrible. Every time I put it on it would shock me, so hopefully the legit snuggie would be much better than the ones that I have used in the past!

5. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    When the Snuggie first came out I laughed at the people wearing them. It honestly looked like they were members of a cult. :D I was thinking who would wear one of those it brought a smile to my face.

After a while of debating I decided to try one out for myself and it's pretty comfortable. I saw a knock-off in the store, so I picked it up just to get an accurate comparison. My review is the fabric on the knock-off is really gritty, but the Snuggie is nice and soft. The look of the knock off wasn't identical to the original either. The size was a little bit smaller and it sort of resembled a poncho.

I would never wear the Snuggie in public, or I won't mention it to my friends and family. I consider it a guilty pleasure, and I only wear it around the house. I noticed with every good idea there are competitors there to rip you off. The moral of the story is to go with the original manufacturer because the knock-off is always sub-par.

6. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I would consider getting a Snuggie... to wear at home only though. Those commercials are so silly with the whole family sitting at some type of sporting event all wearing their snuggies. I'm not sure anyone would really do that

7. luvsdragonflies

luvsdragonfliesNew Member

Threads:
    Okay, so I laughed like ya'll when they came out but, my mil *mother in law* got me one for Christmas when i was pg, I used it in the hospital when my daughter was born. I also used it to breast feed her so, no one could see. I still have it and use it during the winter. I uber love it !!!

8. daisiesndots

daisiesndotsMember

Threads:
    I love my snuggie too! Although, I don't think I would pose for pictures in it or anything (haha) I really do like it! It really is practical! I can read my book or play on the computer without having to get my arm cold! The only thing that I don't like about it is that it is such thin material that will wear out quickly. I would much rather prefer this product if it was the same material as a throw. I love a thick blanket for when I am cold and want to snuggle. Although I love the snuggie and it does warm me well, it takes a while for me to feel warm and complete.

9. Stephanie

StephanieMember

Threads:
    We use our snuggies all the time! We have 2, pink and camo. My kids bought them for my husband and I for Christmas, I suspect because the name is so catchy & cute! Most of the time we don't use them as shown, usually we just use them like blankets, but they are the first things we grab to keep the chill off. We like the weight-not too heavy and not too wimpy.
    We have one name brand and one generic and there really isn't a difference between the two. They've washed up well, too!

10. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm, I wonder why my generic was so much better than the ones you guys got. My kids have legit kids sized snuggies and the fabric is a little softer, but mine is just as warm and comfortable as theirs. I use their snuggies if mine is being washed or if I've gotten it mixed up with the one that's the same color. The construction is basically identical, just a little cheaper quality but it still does the trick. I'm just impressed that a generic snuggie can last for years!

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only closet snuggier.

11. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Just googled Snuggies. Now that I know what they look like, I think I have finally found the solution to my old blankets. Cut a hole in the middle. Sew up the sides part of the way. Presto! I have a homemade snuggie.

12. MEGATRUCK

MEGATRUCKMember

Threads:
    As comfortable as a Snuggie may be, I don't really want to get one. It seems very tacky and unattractive. I don't see much problems with taking an ordinary blanket and draping it over your back, anyway.

13. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to get a Snuggie, despite the cheesy commercials. Snuggies seem so cozy and comfortable when lounging around the house. I would love to wear a Snuggie when reading or using the computer during cold winter evenings.

14. Popatar

PopatarMember

Threads:
    I thought this was the dumbest thing ever until I started thinking about it. Too bad it looks horrendous.

15. jrkrizco

jrkrizcoNew Member

Threads:
    I actually have a Snuggie that my husband got me when they first came out. The idea is a good one. The fact that it has sleeves is very convenient. It really didn't matter to me that it's not too attractive since I'd only be wearing it in the privacy of my own home. However, I need something that's a bit thicker. I get cold very easily and it takes me a long time to get warm. Other than that, I think it was a good purchase.

16. BestCrispAir

BestCrispAirNew Member

Threads:
    I have several Snuggies, and I really like them a lot. The ones that I like the best are the heavy fleece ones, not the cheap ones. I also have a knock off Snuggie, which has not fared as well as the Snuggie has in the washing and drying department. I am fortunate enough to have a Slanket (which was out before the Snuggie) and I like it loads better than the Snuggie, the construction seems to be much better and I think the seams are finished more securely. If you don't like the fabric choices of the Snuggie, go over to Slanket and see what they have.

17. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    I think all snuggie brands are pretty much the same thing. Its a concept that you just can't go wrong with. I remember when I first heard about them it was through this comedic skep on youtube. And I thought those things must be evil or something. But once you quit the jiving and jibing, you will notice that Snuggies are actually quite cool.

18. BrittneyD

BrittneyDMember

Threads:
    My husband bought me a snuggie for Christmas because I am always cuddle up with my blanket. He thought it would be esier for me to read a book or do my school work. However, I am not a huge fan of it. The arms are so big that they normally just get in the way of what I am trying to do. I may just be old fashioned and perfer my blanket, but I don't feel as comfortable with the snuggie on. He also bought 3 small ones for our boys because they wanted one. They wore it a couple of times and threw it in their closet. They have not touched it since. They kept tripping over it, and just found it awkward.

19. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    My mother got me a snuggie a few years back for Christmas. I'm not sure if the quality has changed since then but when I got mine it was extremely bad quality and also extremely itchy. Maybe they have changed since then though because when I got mine it was really uncomfortable and not warm at all.

20. melmac

melmacMember

Threads:
    I hate its appearance and the texture, but it does keep me warm (both the generic brand and the Snuggie brand). Most of my livingroom blankets I can fold and drape over my couch, but not my breast cancer awareness pink snuggie. The arms always make it look bumpy and poorly folded. Plus, I don't like my back being exposed when I'm cold, so I don't give the snuggie much more than a 4/10 overall.