The Kinect vs the Wii - which is better for a light workout?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by lindbergh • May 13, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Wii and the Kinect have released a number of games that allow you to work out right in front of your TV set. It's not the same as going to the gym but it's better than nothing. Have you tried both systems? Which do you think is better for working out?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I haven't played all the games on both systems, but I've played a few on each. The Kinect seems to require a more vast type of movement since some games would require you to use your legs as well (simulating running), unlike with the Wii wherein you are mostly only required to move your arms, to the best of my knowledge.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, that's why I prefer the Kinect Fitness games as compared to the Wii. The Wii requires you to hold the WiiMote and swing it here and there while the Kinect takes note of your movement. Though the Kinect is not accurate at tracking your movement at times, it's still a lot better than the Wii when it comes to these types of games.

4. asteriks

asteriksMember

Threads:
    I haven't really tried the wii but I do have the kinect. I absolutely love it. Rather than the sports games, I actually play Dance Central on it and it is a great workout while having fun. I often play it with my roommate and we are always in a friendly competition to see who scores the highest.

5. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    THe kinnect is also nice because you don't have to hold a remote in your hands. And you dont have to worry about pointing the remote at the screen etc. You can simply move naturally.

6. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    I would say the Kinect. The Wii is not accurate enough to pick up your movements and you can easily cheat it by just moving your arms. The Kinect actually requires you to move around and exercise as opposed to just sitting down and moving your hands and legs.

7. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I think i would end up saying the Kinect, only because you don't need to hold anything and Just dance is better on the Xbox 360. But the Wii is also a good solution with a couple of good working out games.

8. firelily99

firelily99New Member

Threads:
    I use the Wii for a workout but I only use games and not a fitness routine. Its my way of breaking up the monotony of a workout and having some fun. I do a variety of games including one where I am a firefighter. I was once a firefighter in real life and I can tell you that is a very strenuous workout!

9. DankAllen

DankAllenBanned

Threads:
    As many have said, the Wii Fitness is the big draw for most people to buy the Wii. Xbox Kinect is one thing, but the Wii fitness is in a league of its own. I have a few friends that lost a lot of weight from simply a small diet and working with the Wii Fit.