The Latest Thing

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by SLTE • Sep 8, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know too many people who are into this, but I've read plenty about shoppers who will immediately go out and buy 'the latest' thing in electronics, the moment it comes out, almost regardless of reviews or whether the last 'latest thing' they own is still perfectly fine. Anything by Apple immediately jumps to mind, though gaming systems and plenty of peripherals often receive a similar treatment. Are you one of these folks who have to have the most up-to-date stuff right away?

I'm not. I take pride in showing a bit of restraint. I'd rather hold back, save my money, and learn whether or not something is actually worth purchasing before I throw my credit card into the ring. Technology advances so rapidly these days that it seems stupid to me to try and keep up with the cutting edge.

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest apart from all the hassle involved of updating or upgrading to the latest gadgets - I'm not so sure that this is something that could be done these days - as like has already been mentioned - with how quickly technology advances these days - I think it would be virtually impossible to keep up with let alone afford all the latest gadgets and devices - particularly as - even if you could afford to buy them - they would very probably have already been upgraded long before you even got home with your purchase.

So in answer to your question - no I don't even try to keep with all the latest gadgets and so long as everything I currently own - still works perfectly and does everything that I require it to do - I won't be upgrading any of my gadgets or devices any time soon - especially as I find it way more cost effective to wait until something actually needs replacing before doing so.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I can’t afford to do that, but I don’t think I’d be the type even if I could. If something is still in fine working order, I wouldn’t really see the need to upgrade to the latest and greatest just because it’s available. Not to mention, early adopters get to experience all the bugs ;)

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whatever reasons the marketers give explaining why the new device is sooo much better and other hype won't convince me to buy an expensive new gadget or device unless I need it. As long as the device I currently own is working fine, I won't replace it.

Another reason why I wouldn't buy the newest device or gadget is because I don't use them that much. Buy something and let it lie around unused, it's a waste of money isn't it?

5. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    This is not really me. I tend to buy a gadget when I really need to. Like if my phone is not working anymore, then I'll get a new one. Or if I need a new laptop for work, then it's necessary to buy one. I am not really impulsive when it comes to gadgets because they easily depreciate. I would rather save my money than buy things I don't need.

On the other hand, my SIL is such an impulsive buyer, in everything. That includes gadgets. She has an iPhone 6+, an iPad air, a Macbook, a goPro and so on. And she just bought everything last year. Imagine how many clothes she got because of her impulsiveness. It really amazes me that she can spend so much money on gadgets and other miscellaneous things.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't quite understand why people would do this sort of thing, to be honest. It is almost like they aren't actually interested in the actual product - that these people just want to be able to tell other people that they have the gadget, or that they had it first? It's sort of like bragging rights? Either way, that's not me. I will usually wait until the prices come down, and that i if I even want the product at all.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No I don't rush and go to the store the moment I see a new gadget come out. I can't even afford it anyway, so I will be more interested in buying 2nd hand or refurbished ones that are of older models because they're cheaper. Or the cheapest model that is the latest release. The other day I saw the Xperia E4 that was selling for only $200. That can be bought if I saved up for it. But above $200? Mostlikely I won't purchase it.

8. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    Why waste money when other people will do it for you? Patience is a virtue and all that. Waiting for other people to check it out and write reviews has saved me a good deal of money in the past xD

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hehe Not me LOL First of all, I just don't have the sort of money you need to behave in such a fashion. Second of all, I'm not a very showy person who always wants to be seen with the latest gadgets. I'm very happy to use a respectable brand until it dies on me, when I then get a replacement. Maybe if I lived at home, I had a well paying job and was this geeky person who absolutely loved gadgets, I'd be different.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I don't think it is very smart to immediately buy the "latest thing" as with most items, especially those that are tech related,,,developers seem to be in a rush to get the product to market before all the bugs are worked out. I would say that this is the case more often then not. Waiting a while until all the bugs are are worked out is prolly smarter.

11. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like this seems to be the current trend almost :p
    It seems like a bunch of things, especially video games, are being released early and as soon as possible, resulting in some really game breaking bugs and glitches, which can be really really annoying when you've paid $60 for a new game and can't even play it.

12. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not one of those people and I will never understand those people. Let me be clear and say that I am not proud to say I know friends like this. There is one friend I know that bought a brand new iPhone and it was in mint condition. When Apple did this whole promo on the new colors the iPhone had. She went out of her way to save up some money prior to be able to get a new iPhone in the gold color. She has TWO iPhones that are the exact same model and size. The only difference is she wanted a gold color and now has one iPhone just sitting in her closet.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a status thing. Such bigger things to worry about and use your money towards. I can appreciate what some of these things can do for people, but once I start seeing them fussing over colours and very slight upgrades, or being the first to have the latest and greatest all in the name of appearing "with it" and able to blow money on whatever they desire; I couldn't yawn loud enough...

14. AllAboutTheLincolns

AllAboutTheLincolnsMember

Threads:
    I will use a phone or electronic device until it no longer serves practicality. Why, I think I used windows XP up until 2011 when I upgraded to a MacBook Pro. I also had an iPhone for 4 years, much longer than the suggested holding time of 1.5 years. Essentially, you're doing yourself a favor by holding on to older technology. It makes you appreciate the new stuff even more when you upgrade, and you'll get major millage from older tech.

15. Harlek

HarlekMember

Threads:
    Not me. I used to be like that though. I would ogle at the sight of newly released devices and I would fight my way through the lines just to be one of the first to have it but I realized how dumb and stupid that idea is. I still have my crappy Windows Phone 7 back from 2011 and I still use for a lot of things besides calling and texting.

A lot of my friends are making fun of my phone saying that it's a "dinosaur" and I should buy a new one but in my defense, it's still doing what it should do and for the most part it's still in pretty good shape, so there's really no point in replacing a perfectly functioning phone.

16. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely, so much money can be saved by not always buying the latest gadget. Being able to be satisfied when what you have works well and provides enough quality, really goes a long way. It actually means that with each new gadget, you are paying so much money for just a few upgrades.

17. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only purchase a device when I need it. I need to purchase a new tablet and a new computer right now. I like to research what I think I will purchase to make sure it is something I am going to use. The newest gadget does not interest me all that much, I need to know what it will do for me.