The Past and Now

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Miaka_M • May 30, 2014.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    When you look at today's fashions you see jeans, mini skirts, tank tops, etc etc, but in the past the women were dressed in beautiful dresses that would fan out around them. I personally prefer those dresses, if it were up to you and you had the choice to buy between the then and now, what would you chose? Of course, you know what I would choose. :)

2. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I love those kind of dresses too. :) I find a long skirt or dress almost as freeing as pants. But as to answer the question, I would have to say now, because there is more freedom to wear what we want now than there was then. I mean yeah sure, there were always brave souls that wore what they wanted. But at least now, we can wear what we want without so many brands, labels, and stereotypes put on us that is.

3. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    For me, it's not an issue whether it's a fashion of the past or the present. As long as it's comfortable and it's appropriate, I don't really mind wearing it. This is also the reason why each time I shop, I try to really stick to the basics as that tends to last for a longer period of time and you feel like you never go out of fashion.

I find the latest styles to be rather less conservative and this is not something I appreciate so much. I am more on the conservative side.

4. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I am conservative. So, naturally, I prefer some of the classic cuts. The return of flowing skirts and dresses a couple of years back was a refreshing change. Anyone can look good in these garments regardless of size and shape. This reality isn't true in regards to some attire like leggings.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's more of a generational and fad change, that's why the women nowadays prefer to wear clothes that are skimpy as possible? Lol. Because women were more conservative back then, but now they are more daring in general, even when it comes to dressing up. As for me I just wear simple clothes, so both choices aren't really applicable to me. Besides, anyone can wear whatever they want even when it's not in season anymore.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I much prefer the fashion nowadays because I feel as though people nowadays are able to have much more fun as opposed to before when we were less educated or less willing to accept that people have different preferences, and also I feel as though past decades' fashions were much more experimental whereas these days the structure has seemingly been more established and we could then play around with a bit more solid of a foundation.

7. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I love those dresses too but we now have to live with the reality that things will never go back to the way they were last time. We just have to make sure that at least we dress decently not always in the skimpy dresses that might make people thing other things about your personality.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Tastes and preferences should have limits. When your rights infringe on the rights of others, you are not entitled to that right. People have the right not to be tempted to do stuff but when a scantily dressed woman gets away with that, simply because she can dress as she pleases . . .

I think fashion, old or new must abide by some code of decency. Why even wear any clothes if all you're wearing is a belt-sized skirt?

I prefer something in-between. Comfortable but decent. Not too long. Not too short.