The Perfect Christmas Gift

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by La.Oui • Nov 3, 2014.

1. La.Oui

La.OuiNew Member

Threads:
    The holidays are coming and some people are definitely getting ready with their shopping lists.
    Of course, we're not just concerned about how a gift is perfect for a special person but for our budgets too. ;)

What are the things that you take into consideration when you make up your list? How do figure out how fit a number of people in your list and budget while still making sure that they'd be getting something they really want?

2. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Christmas is surely around the corner indeed. When I make my list, I have to consider the budget I can work with first before proceeding any further. From there, I take into account my knowledge of what the people I buy gifts for like and I decide whether it's affordable or way over my budget that wouldn't allow me to get something nice for everyone. This usually works for me every year and I don't end up spending more than I plan to very often.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's no clear-cut answer to all your questions. I simply set a budget and look for an item that matches my target price. So as not to run out or exceed my goal, I make an allowance of at least $20. I also try to purchase items that are on sale. A month or so before the holidays, malls go crazy with sales. That's the best time to strike and go shopping.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy Christmas gifts for the neighbors kids and a few of my relatives kids. Adults . . . well I don't buy them any gifts.

Since I know the kids I get the gifts for quite well I know exactly what kind of gift will be best for them. Some like toys, others books, etc. And since they are just kids, I don't have to go overboard buying them expensive gifts. All that matters to them is that their "uncle" gets them something nice.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I neither buy nor receive any Christmas gifts. It's something that I got rid of many years ago. I don't like the annual drama at the end of the year, and always retreat to a quiet place in the mountains to get away from it all. I give small presents to the people I love and appreciate all year long, and don't just consider them during holiday seasons.

6. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    I love to take gifts and thinking to buy for my closer ones. As i already plan a surprise gift for my family...;) I decided to take them on a New Year's tour for making their celebrations best ever. But i still have to buy some gifts for my friends. Some of them are found of music, books, i decided to bought something for them from NYC tour. I am sure they all will be very happy and surprised....:rolleyes:

7. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    We focus more on celebrating together and doing things as a family/friends vs. the gift giving aspect of the holidays. Just too stressful on the wallet and in general. I still get small gifts for a few people, and mainly I set the budget first and then make it work from there.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, to be able to save money on Christmas gifts, then I'll just buy gifts for the people that gave me a gift, so that I can return the favor, lol. I won't be buying gifts for the people that didn't give me one, so for sure they won't be disappointed if they didn't receive a gift from me.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually just list everything out, whether it's on paper or in my head, and when I do the price calculations I just try and adjust it where I can if it goes over budget. Usually it does go over budget for me because of course I'd like to buy my family expensive gifts as much as possible but eventually I just find some other options and it works out just fine. I know I just get carried away with the holiday feeling and feel the need to overspend but I try and control myself most of the time.

10. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I only give gifts to my close friends and immediately family. I don't give gifts to my other relatives. I don't know. I may be perceived as stingy, but I do not want to give gifts to people I am not close to. Also, I try to give gift cards for my friends. Sometimes, I give them deal vouchers.

11. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    Gift giving is all about the thought and less about the money - I always try to get the person something I know they would enjoy or be able to use -- and I try to find the best deal on it. I am on a very tight budget and I try to do the best I can with what I can afford to spend each year.

12. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974Member

Threads:
    The first thing I consider is how much money I have that year. This does vary from year to year for me. For this reason, the last couple of years I have not been able to buy for people outside my household. I have also insisted that my wife not buy anything for me. I had a lot of Christmases that I got very little, as a child, so I always make sure my kids don't feel like Santa forgot them. I know presents aren't everything, but I won't be convinced it is not important.

13. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    I really appriciate primalclaws1974!

14. selina

selinaMember

Threads:
    Well Christmas is very close and if you want to give gifts for your love ones, you should know their favourite things or foods. I have planned to give my daughter a diamond necklace and for my sister recipe book and I know they both will like these gifts. So if you know the person then you can give the perfect Christmas gift.

15. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    yeah i do agree with you selina! If you know that person, whom you want to give present. Than you must take a gift according to his or her choice. I also buy a cooking book for my mother she is having lot of interest in cooking and i know she is going to be love her present. :)