The Perfect Tortilla

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by TheCause • Mar 9, 2013.

1. TheCause

TheCauseBanned

Threads:

The Perfect Tortilla

It looked so awesome on TV. When I got it, I was fairly disappointed. They are so small. If you want meat and salad to go in there, there isn't much room for cheese even. Not to mention that when you cook the tortilla as instructed, it will either burn the tops, or not cook the bottom at all hardly.

It is a great idea. And what I did manage to cram in there made a great taco salad. They are just a whooole lot smaller than they look on TV.

It wouldn't be worth $19.95. Maybe $9.99. I just wanted to give you guys a heads up.

2. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    In my country this idea is inconceivable. The tortilla is a classic dish from our local cuisine and products such doesn't exist on the shelves of supermarkets. For that reason I go to this post, the title caught my eye. As usual, the image of the packaging is only illustrative and the result is far from optimal. Beyond that, I think this is a variant of the tortilla. In my country, the spanish tortilla is more popular. This dish is a combination of potato, egg and some ingredients to add flavor. You should try that variant.

3. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, according to the commercial you can place larger tortillas into the bowls to place in the microwave. Apparently even a larger tortilla will stay in place and be baked. Perhaps this is why the tortilla bowls looks larger on the commercial because larger tortillas were used to make them. You might want to try larger tortillas and see if these do live up to this claim or not.

4. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't seen this commercial myself but I would probably purchase this in a store. Food is just my weakness. Most infomercials usually raise the price and add more things to the offer and it seems like this one wasn't worth all the money. As you said, it really is an amazing idea and I actually still want to try it out if it goes on sale somewhere online.
    Thanks for giving us all a heads up.

5. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    I love Spanish tortilla - yum yum! I eat mine warm, with salad and coleslaw.

Those tortillas in the packaging are, I assume, the type of tortilla one would use to make fajitas? If so, I wonder how easy they would be to make yourself? In any case, doing it at home would be much cheaper than paying $19.99 for a box!

6. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would much rather make my own tortilla, they are easy to make from scratch, especially if you own a tortilla press. You can buy a cast iron tortilla press for around 10 dollars, they are not very expensive. Buy a tortilla press and give it a go.

7. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I love homemade tortillas, although it been years since I have had any. There really is huge difference in flavor from the store bought kind. But I'm not about to take the time to make them from scratch and I commend you for doing so. As for the Perfect Tortilla Bowel, I actually saw it yesterday at my local CVS for $10. So apparently what someone else said here about products being more on TV is sort of true. Apparently these bowels an be bought at places such as CVS or Walgreens for less, and even if they are around the same price no shipping cost.

8. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are right, there is a huge difference in flavour and texture when compared to store bought tortillas. I haven't found any store bought tortillas which come close to the real thing. Proper tortillas have a lovely chewy texture and a nice flavour.

9. axm6557

axm6557New Member

Threads:
    This product is such a waste of money. For the reasons you said, but also because you can just turn your cupcake pan over (as long as it's clean down there) and place your tortilla between 4 cupcake tins. Bake it for a bit or broil to toast, and voila! Even if you don't have one or your girlfriend/wife/significant other who cooks doesn't, cupcake pans are like $5 compared to the $30 you spent on this marketing marvel. DONT BUY THIS!! Go with a cupcake tin instead- then you can make dessert after!

10. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    A tortilla press? I didn't know it was possible to purchase such an item. I'm gonna have to check this out - thanks!

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Since you already have the product, I would suggest trying them again with larger tortillas. It might end up working out better than the smaller variety you were stuck with before.

I don't personally have one, but I do love taco bowls, so I know I would be thrilled with something that made them easier.

12. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I have to say I was intrigued by the thought of this product. I went on Youtube to see other reviews on this as well, and it look really nice. I was going to purchase one, but I was scared it wouldn't work. My local Dollar Tree had them and I actually missed out. It wasn't the exact brand name, but they had the knock off version. With our Dollar Tree, if you do not get something when you see it, you missed out! Please let us know how it was with a bigger Tortilla.

13. fourmatic

fourmaticMember

Threads:
    I love taco salads so I'm defiantly going to look into this product. They also make good salsa bowls but don't leave the salsa in them too long, it will soak through!

14. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that's what they use in Mexico and they are widely available. I would recommend a cast iron one because they will last longer. The cast iron presses are more expensive but they are still quite cheap, you can pick one up for around 20 dollars.

15. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of a tortilla press. I usually buy my tortillas, but homemade tortillas are just delicious. One of my favorite restaurant makes homemade tortillas. I assumed that they had some special restaurant equipment. Now, I know better. When I get some extra cash, I'm going in search of a tortilla press. There's probably a lot of other things it can be used for.

16. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I am like you Parker, I never heard of a tortilla press. I have my favorite Mexican Restaurant that has the best Mexican food ever. I ate there last weekend and I told my husband Taco Bell is a slap in the face compared to the Authentic food we have. I do purchase my Tortillas too, but I would love to make some tortilla chips. I saw how to make them on a cooking show and cannot wait to make them. I want to see what a Tortilla press so I will do the same thing, its always great to have Google.

17. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of the Mexican restaurants use the basic tortilla press. I'm sure some have more fancy modern equipment but the old tortilla press is tried and tested. They are very easy to use so there's no excuses for not making your own tortillas :p.

18. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really love the taco salads in the tortilla bowl, and have never seen the bowl maker like you have. I thnk I would like having one, but I certainly do not want to pay $20 for one. The you tube idea sounds good, I can check it out on there, and then hope our local Dollar Tree carries then, too. Even a small salad bowl would be fine with me, and baked is much better than deep fried for your health. The cupcake pan idea sounds good,too, so maybe I will test that out with my muffin pan.

19. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I have to say, when I saw it at our Dollar Tree I told my husband, but I didn't get it. We went back and they were gone. Whenever the Dollar Tree have As seen on TV knock off or their own version, if you do not get them when you see them, they are gone. I hope you do have some left, because we were cleaned out ;)

20. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You don't actually need a tortilla press to make tortillas. You can roll them out by hand if you want, all you need is masa harina and water to form the tortilla dough. The tortilla press just makes it easier and less messy.