The Post Office Does a Great Job

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by deecee • Aug 5, 2012.

1. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    I know it is popular to make fun of the post office, but I believe they do a great job with limited resources. The cost of a first class stamp doesn't even cover the cost of sending a letter, but Congress won't let them raise the rates enough to break even. We get mail six days a week regardless of the weather. I've had positive experiences at the post office probably 99% of the time.

2. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    That is awesome your praising the US Postal Service. Most do not. I know I have had my times of complaining about them. Yet there are times I have been so grateful to get my mail and packages even in the rain! Thanks for sharing and I will be looking at my mail person in a new light Monday.

3. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Well maybe yours does... depends on where you live in. USPS is not that bad, but it can cost a little too much if you don't live in the US.

My local post office is good with times that have tracking numbers, but it can take MONTHS for them to deliver packages without them.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I think post offices the world over are ripe for condemnation, simply because of the scale of the deliveries they handle. Things are bound to go missing, but as long as they do everything to track it down, that's good enough for most people. I do think the two tier postal system is a joke, though. I've posted stuff second class and it's arrived the next day, while first class post has taken a week to arrive. They need to look into this, because if they're charging for a premium service, they should deliver it - pun intended!

5. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I love post offices, I think that they are one of those really awesome structures of the past that it still operating now...and it feels kind of nostalgic whenever I need to go into one. It is the old meets the new. Kind of. Right now, I am waiting for a package of something that I purchased online and cannot wait to go there to pick it up! Yeeha.

6. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    Post Office should be given great credit for still being there every time we need them. I really admire people who work for the post office. With technology getting better and better, one cannot fathom how they can continually endure their jobs. I guess these guys have passion for what they truly are doing.

7. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Last winter, it took me almost a month and a half to get a new LCD computer monitor delivered to me via USPS. It got so bad, that I ordered another one on Amazon.com via Fedex because I was so sick of waiting for the first one I ordered via USPS from California. The Amazon seller I bought it from refunded me my money, since it was his screw up for sending the thing parcel package instead of priority. So my second one arrived via Fedex, and I was done with the issue as far as I was concerned. Then around late December, the first one, which got stuck in New Jersey for like weeks.

And somehow also made a journey to Massachusetts, showed up at my door. The package looked like it had been attacked by a bengal tiger, and the monitor had chips on the edges. All the foam bits inside were spilling out. I just told the USPS guy that I had already contacted the Amazon seller and told him I'd be sending his item back. So I refused delivery, and they sent the monitor back to him. I am no fan of the USPS. After that incident.

8. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    Like anything else, there are good post offices and bad ones. I avoid certain ones because the service is horrible and it just isn't worth it to stand in a long line to get to a person that really doesn't want to help you.

9. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I've never really had a problem with the USPS. They take much more abuse than they should and it's only due to the terrorism through the mail that they have been able to get cut some slack. There was a time when you could actually move through the mail. Put all of your clothes and stuff in a box, insure it and mail it. Guess who had to carry your stuff up those stairs? The poor mailman.

I think we've taken advantage of the USPS for so long that when it was time for them to even things out, we got mad. :D

10. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

Seems it also works that way with mail processing centers as well. Some of them are like blackholes. Mail goes in, and is never seen again. Sometimes, it is seen again. Only weeks later. My package had the "pleasure", of going through Bell California, and then Jersey City New Jersey. Two processing centers notorious for epic failure to get stuff done. I never knew this until I looked up both processing centers online. I apparently was not the first person to have a package come through these two locations. And be delayed or vanish entirely.

11. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I think overall, the Post Office does a good job. I am very concerned that they may have to dramatically cut more services, or go out of business. As Congress is not trying to do anything to help solve the problem they have, with Congress being the reason they are in the predicament they are in now.

12. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I actually did seasonal work at the post office and the job is not easy by any means -- especially around the holidays. You could be working shifts as long as 12 hours. Also on the daily basis, mail comes first and breaks are secondary. I won't really go into detail, but it is a lot more taxing both physically and mentally than most people know. The people who work there, really do care about getting the mail out on time and making sure that the letters get there in good condition. Even if they dont care, they do everything possible to get it out on time because that's what is expected. From my point of view, everyone of the workers did their best at the post office stations and the mail distribution centers.

13. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Depends if the governments have anything to do with them too. I mean, some governments are really cheap when it comes to postal services, so you can't expect their workers to do a good job with an indecent wage.

14. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

So how many letters to Santa did you have to ferret through? I actually heard letters to Santa were down 40% last year.:cool:

15. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I think the US post office will soon go the way of Blockbuster and Borders. It is less expensive and too easy to email people these days. And then there's this talk budget cuts and mail not being delivered one day of the week, I think on Saturdays. Am I right about this?

16. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I went to my local post office today and the women at the help desk were just... rude. Instead of feeling like you were help, they seemed upset and angry that people were asking questions.

That's not the definition of "good" service... and c'mon, I just wanted to ask where customs was!

17. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

I think this is the reason why so many businesses are plastered with signs in English and in Espanol. So people can get questions answered from the signs. And won't need to bother the lady or man at the window with any unnecessary questions. Because that takes away time from them of doing other things. Problem is, a lot of the signs only confuse you even more so you kinda have to ask questions lol.

18. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It's very similar to airlines. We hear a lot about lost luggage, but never really take into account all the luggage that arrives just as it should. I've had a bunch of issues with USPS personally, but I also know that the majority of the time, they're doing the best they absolutely can, so it's all good.

19. bsherman46

bsherman46New Member

Threads:
    I agree! Considering the financial state they are in, the post office does a great job. Packages come in good shape and on time. I''ve had great success when ordering a home package pickup online. And those postal delivery people are always so friendly, at least mine have been. Hooray for the postal service!

20. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    You call this a great job?

(And yup, it really happened).