The Worst Haircut Of My Life- Ulta

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by jcort • Jan 30, 2015.

1. jcort

jcortMember

Threads:
    I should start by saying that I love Ulta's beauty products. I'll probably continue to shop at their store, but I would avoid the salon area at all costs.

Last week I decided to splurge and use a gift card I'd gotten in order to get my hair colored. I had been checking out Pinterest for a while, and I decided that I wanted to dye my medium-brown hair to a dark brown shade. For reference, this was my original color:

And I wanted this:

Not a drastic change, right? Well, to make a long story short, that didn't happen. I think there was an error with how the dye was mixed (the stylist wanted to combine two colors for me), and I ended up with chunks of gold, orange, and black throughout my hair. It took over 3 hours to do, and looked crazy.

They had me come in the following day to have a glaze applied, in order to even everything out. The glaze ended up being quite a bit darker than I wanted, but at least the color was even.

On top of that- the stylist was so stressed when the color was going wrong, that she didn't cut my hair evenly. She totally forgot to cut the right side, and no layers were put in. So, when I went back I had her fix those things as well, which meant she had to take off a lot more hair than I planned on.

So, now I look like this:

And the grand total for this wonderful experience? $93.00. Yup, they didn't even offer a discount. I'm waiting for the manager to call me back, but I don't think it's going to happen.

2. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    This is ridiculous, I can't believe that they did this to you. This is why when it comes to hair stylist I can be a bit apprehensive about who I let color it. I will be a bit more flexible when it comes to cutting. For me its like just cut it short how can you mess that up. But coloring as you found out is another story entirely. I know a hairstylist that my familiy got to know really well when she had a salon near our home and we became friends with her. Besides myself or my sister whom have colored my hair more then once this is the only person outside my family that I will let color my hair. This woman knows what she's doing and does a great job everytime she does it. I hope you get this all straightened out. There is no way you should have to pay almost a hundred dollars for something so horrendous, the customer is always right and you weren't happy here, by right you should be refunded.

3. jcort

jcortMember

Threads:
    Yup, I totally agree. Thanks for saying that!!!! I think I needed someone to validate my feelings. I'm going to try to give them a call again.

4. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Ouch, that really sucks! I would totally go back or call and complain more. They should've at least discounted what you had to pay or heck refund the whole thing, since they messed up so badly! :eek: Also, was your stylist new or something? Cause everything she did sounds like rookie mistakes to me. o_O

I once let my long time hairdresser put in blonde streaks (she said she thought they'd look nice with my medium brown hair, and so I said yes on a whim) under the rule that they had to look as natural as possible. (I wanted it to look more like sun streaks, or the streak effect you can get with chamomile tea.) They did NOT look natural at all! Also, she took out the foil in the wrong order, so one side had been lightened WAY more then the other! o_O I literally looked like someone has painted stripes in my hair. It looked so bad and so much like a "trailer trash lady hairstyle", I was so embarrassed about how it looked! I didn't say anything at the time, since my hairdresser is completely fine when she cuts hair, so I've just never let her do anything dye/bleach related ever again! :rolleyes:

5. jcort

jcortMember

Threads:
    Ugh, that sounds traumatic as well! Yes, the hairdresser I had was a rookie.

So, UPDATE:

I ended up calling Ulta, because although they told me the manager would be calling me, she never did. She was incredibly apologetic, and she said that one of the things that upset her about the story was that, when the first issue with my hair happened, she should have been notified right away. Then, the manager should have been in charge of redoing my hair. Instead, the rookie stylist tried fixing my hair the second time, and the manager didn't hear of the situation until days later.

They are giving me a complimentary cut whenever I'll next need one, as well as a skin treatment to help me de-stress from the incident. She also said a box of Ulta goodies should be on its way to my house.

So, I really did appreciate talking to the manager, and I think they remedied the situation as best they could.

6. haitch

haitchNew Member

Threads:
    And that's why my friends, i stay with my normal hair colour. I know a lot of people may not like their hair for a good reason but i prefer mine natural. Dying and treating your hair can also make it ineligible for donating it to charities such as locks for love so if i ever decide to do that i can.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, wow I feel for you! I'm not a fan of Ulta, I prefer other beauty stores, but I have never tried their salon or know anyone that has. Surely you should expose your dissatisfaction to the manager and see what they answer. They should call you back to fix what you didn't like.