Thermal Paste Application

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by autograph • Mar 22, 2014.

1. autograph

autographNew Member

Threads:
    Hi all!
    I have a laptop that I have been using for almost 5 years now. Last year, I noticed that my laptop would go overheat without running any intensive tasks and shut down unexpectedly. It got to the point that my laptop shut down just from web browsing. I decided to take it apart and found out that the thermal paste has dried up. I applied some no-brand thermal paste I got from my friend and the issue was fixed.

Early, this month, the issue came back and I opened up my laptop again. Guess what? The thermal paste was all dried up again. This time around, I use a better thermal paste brand (Arctic MX-4) and hopefully it can last longer than a year.

So, how often do you re-apply thermal paste to your Processor/Graphics Card? Also, please state the brand you are using if possible.
    Thanks!

2. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I've never had to re apply thermal paste on my CPU or GPU, which are at least a few years old. I don't know what brand they are. I just used the one that came with my CPU. 5 years is a long time though. I hope your laptop will continue to last.

3. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Like for me I apply once a year. If you get a good quality thermo paste it should last you for a long time. Even mine after a year it will still be good but I just add to be on the safe side. I do not want it to start breaking down when am in the middle of important activities. Just apply it regularly and am sure everything will be okay.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of this before. My laptop also developed a problem with getting too hot and running slow. I took it to the store where I bought it from and they told me that the vents might be blocked. So they pumped some pressurised air into the vents and I haven't had a problem since. They recommended a cooling pad, which is basically a type of mesh pad that let's the computer "breathe". I didn't buy one, I just make sure that there is enough airflow underneath my laptop.